[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Stand recommendation

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! I checked out Great Lake Aquarium's and may go with one of their poplar stands. ~$143, which is hard to beat. Thanks again!

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default Why not go bigger?

Hi BC United,

If you're not dead set on the 29 gallon and haven't ordered lights... I have a stand for a slightly larger tank (36"x18" footprint).

Here's an old pic of the stand with my 50 breeder tank...

IMG 2734 - Stand recommendation

and an even older one with the stand open. (That's a 20 long tank as the sump).
    IMG 0298 - Stand recommendation

I'm upgrading to a larger tank and am getting ready to sell this stand/canopy. I built it with help from a carpenter friend. Its made of oak (combo of veneer plywood and solid lumber). Has access for wires/plumbing and child safety locks on the doors already (successfully kept sump safe from my toddler). I'm asking $250 for it. I also have a 2 bulb T5HO retrofit and an external overflow that I can include for an extra $50.

If you're interested please PM me and we can talk about the details.

Thanks,
    Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Might be able to talk my father in law into building the exact same stand, but in your dimensions, for around $200. Possibly less- stained and poly'd and ready to go.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

The Fish Doctors in Ypsilanti will also order you a stand, if you would prefer a manufactured one. Give them a call, and ask for Tom and mention Captivereefs.com- 734-434-1030.
    Well, I am still not settled on a stand yet. I am waiting to hear back from GLA for more info on the framework used in their stands.
    I may be interested in your offer to have your father in law build the exact same stand as you showed but for a 29gallon. Would you run the idea past him and see what he would charge? Right now I am just trying to gather all my options.
    Thanks!

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Hi BC United,

If you're not dead set on the 29 gallon and haven't ordered lights... I have a stand for a slightly larger tank (36"x18" footprint).

Here's an old pic of the stand with my 50 breeder tank...

IMG 2734 - Stand recommendation

and an even older one with the stand open. (That's a 20 long tank as the sump).
    IMG 0298 - Stand recommendation

I'm upgrading to a larger tank and am getting ready to sell this stand/canopy. I built it with help from a carpenter friend. Its made of oak (combo of veneer plywood and solid lumber). Has access for wires/plumbing and child safety locks on the doors already (successfully kept sump safe from my toddler). I'm asking $250 for it. I also have a 2 bulb T5HO retrofit and an external overflow that I can include for an extra $50.

If you're interested please PM me and we can talk about the details.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Hi Tom,

That is a nice looking stand and I actually do like the dimensions of 40 or 50gallon breeder. But, right now I do not think I want to switch tank sizes, and I do already have the components for the new metal halide light I will be using on the 29. I am on a very tight budget and do not think I can afford the switch to a larger tank. Plus, I have run the idea of getting a 50gallon breeder past my wife in the recent past and it was a no go. At the moment I think it is best to stick with the current setup. Thanks for your generous offer.

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    Lots of places sell stands. Great Lakes Aquariums and Pruess pets. Also Fish Doctors can get stands. Great Lakes Aquariums has the best selection though. Good luck.
    Larry,
    What is your opinion of the build quality of the GLA stand you purchased? I could not find any pictures of the inside or back of the stands on the GLA website that might show the framework? What is the frame work like? What type of wood did you end up selecting for the stand? Initially I was thinking poplar, but now I am thinkiing oak may be the safer choice...
    Thanks

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by BC United View Post
    Hi Tom,

That is a nice looking stand and I actually do like the dimensions of 40 or 50gallon breeder. But, right now I do not think I want to switch tank sizes, and I do already have the components for the new metal halide light I will be using on the 29. I am on a very tight budget and do not think I can afford the switch to a larger tank. Plus, I have run the idea of getting a 50gallon breeder past my wife in the recent past and it was a no go. At the moment I think it is best to stick with the current setup. Thanks for your generous offer.
    Your wise to not cross "the boss". Good luck on the build and please share your adventures with us here on CR via a Member's Reef thread.

Tom

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BC United View Post
    Well, I am still not settled on a stand yet. I am waiting to hear back from GLA for more info on the framework used in their stands.
    I may be interested in your offer to have your father in law build the exact same stand as you showed but for a 29gallon. Would you run the idea past him and see what he would charge? Right now I am just trying to gather all my options.
    Thanks!
    I will talk it over with him this weekend. i will be in touch.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Mine is completely child proof-

Picture036 - Stand recommendation

Picture037 - Stand recommendation

Picture038 - Stand recommendation

Picture039 - Stand recommendation

Picture040 - Stand recommendation

Picture041 - Stand recommendation

Picture042 - Stand recommendation

Picture035 - Stand recommendation

Picture034 - Stand recommendation

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

video003 - Stand recommendation
    Ummm....I must have missed this somewhere but this is a sweet idea for a child proof stand! I've been considering something similar but this blows my plan out of the water. NICE!

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by creefer View Post
    Ummm....I must have missed this somewhere but this is a sweet idea for a child proof stand! I've been considering something similar but this blows my plan out of the water. NICE!
    Come on over, and see it in person some time.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Come on over, and see it in person some time.
    Thanks. I'll take you up on that after the holidays. I just ran into a few unexpected dollars, so I'm putting my build in high gear.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2