[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Suggestions for a pump?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default Suggestions for a pump?

I am looking for a new pump to put on my 125.

Looking for:
    Goal around 1000-1200 GPH @ 3ft
    1" MPT preferred
    Quiet
    External Pump
    Reasonable Price

Any suggestions? I have been looking at the PanWorld pumps so far.
    The nice thing to know is that if I screw this up, I know what is for dinner.

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

I like the pan world/blue line and iwaki pumps. Both Iwaki and Panworld are great pumps. I run the 55 HD blueline pump, it has a little humm to but it is better than most. It is about the same as the Iwaki japanesse make pump.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Don,he said reasonable priced.The MAG pumps would work although they only have 3/4" output(you have to increase to 1" after the output).A MAG12 does around 1050gph useing 1" thinwall(ID is 1.25") PVC @3' vertical head.A QuietOne5000 does close to the same and they do have 1" outputs.I've used both and the MAG has never failed me,the QO sucked up some sand and quit working.I ended up replaceing the impeller on it.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

i have never had problems with my mag pumps either. although i only have 2 mag 7's, they have never failed me. just putting in my opinion of the mag pumps !!

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

1 to 10 a 9 for the Mag and and 8 for the Quite one

Theirs better pumps out their but for the price both or good
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

CR Member

I have heard, not sure if it is true, that the Mag pumps are better used if submersed? Is that true?
    The nice thing to know is that if I screw this up, I know what is for dinner.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Probably is,I use one external though,I havn't used it long enough though to report on how it holds up.I actually didn't notice the part in this thread where you specify that you were looking for an external pump.They are quite a bit more expensive than submersible pumps.I'd check e-bay and used ads to see if you can find a good deal.

i am going to say velocity pump. kinda pricey but ultra silent and it meets you flow req. only thing though is they will dump off heat into the water and depending on your set up that might not work.

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

Well if you are interested I still have the Iwaki 40 XRLT for sale for $150 plus shipping. It is practly brand new. The post is here:http://www.captivereefing.com/showthread.php?t=3330
    if you want the specs and what it costs new look here:
    http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=IK1145

IMO I don't like the velocity pumps. They raise the tank temp way to much. They maybe quiet but the the 5- 8 temp increase really posses a problem useless you plan to run a chiller or crank up the ac. I also do not like the barb fittings on the pump. It is just a flood waiting to happpen. Rember this is just my opion there are a lot of poeple who use these pumps and love them.
    If you want to make a panworld or iwaki pump dead silent there is a thread on RC on how to mod on the fan in the back. Either way they are quiet for an external pump.

If you use a mag drive external which you can do, you burn it out quicker. The cooling is done by the water surrounding the pump which is why they run better interally. externally they heat up your tank more and because they run hotter the pump is more likely to burn out. It is not recommended for salt water run exturnal but in pond it is ok, according to the manuf. Well there is my two cents for the day. Hope it helped you out some. Tunze makes a nice pump too, if you want to look into that.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

I'd go with the Mag, Ive only heard good things about them, and it takes alot to make them fail. Now for the Quite Ones, Ive heard many failures on them, Im not going to say their crap, just may appreciate more maintanence.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last