[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Suggestions for my 13 year old reef tank

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    skuttduck - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Suggestions for my 13 year old reef tank

So I started my 75 gallon tank back in 2004. What got me into the hobby was clams. I've had quite a few problems over the years. I'm actually now back to running metal halide, but wondered which LED's I should use?

I was using the Ecoxotic Panorama LED's but I can't seem to get the boards anymore, but maybe if I could get a source of which LED's to use in their strips I could use my soldering iron and fix some of them.

I tried to fix the LED's by updating to a 150watt 24volt power supply, and the LED's that are running 5 of the 6 boards are pulling over 6 amps of power and causing the power supply to shut off then back on again.

So I am wondering should I continue to run my metal halides? I'm only getting temps going from 76 up to 78 and maybe 80 on the really warm day we had. Should I try and repair the boards on my panorama LED's? Should I just buy new LED's such as the Ecotech Radion?

Name:  17038761_10208484750299452_788124491289063410_o.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  92.8 KB

This how it looked with one of the 250 watt metal halide (on the right) and the failing Ecoxotic Panorama pro on the left.

Maybe I could fix one of the panorama lights and buy one Radion until I can get a second one?

Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

I went back to T5 after using LEDs for a while. I seem to get better coloring using them. I am going to be adding a Reef Brite strip to get the shimmer and pop though.
    rc Hopkins sig - Suggestions for my 13 year old reef tank

After seeing how bad my LED's were and the fact that I'm pulling over 150watt trying to maintain one half of the lights I did have I'm thinking my 500 watt of Metal Halide is good for now.

I have to admit the tank looks really good that way, but I wanted to get LED's for when the summer months hit.

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I have been using the MARS AQUA LED's from ebay and so have a bunch of other people. My corals are responding amazingly to it. Each fixture covers 24x24". $90 brand new and you can easily fix a bulb if it burns out which I've yet to have an issue with

Well I got one on my old panorama LED's back up and running. I soldered in a board as well as moved around some power supplies. I'll see how this looks next to my metal halide once the lights come on. The mars aqua looks pretty promising.

My thought was perhaps to run what I could from the ecoxotic and get another lighting.

I noticed that the 12" true lumen pro leds seem to run off the same voltage and may actually work in the panorama system as well.

My tank looks pretty similar to the first picture even with all 6 boards and all LED's working in one of the panorama fixtures.

We kind of think with one halide and one LED it looks like if you were snorkeling and there is something overhead blocking the light. I'm going to try the Mars Aqua for one side and see how it compares to my metal halide.

Ok I just installed the mars aqua and I have it nearly dialed in at 100% to get as close to the metal halide.

Name:  IMG_0347.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  63.6 KB

Left is metal halide and right is the mars aqua Leds.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Looks good. Just be careful not to bleach your corals! Consider easing them into the new light.

Tom

That side was also under metal halide aside from the last 3 days. I will keep an eye on them.

I still think my metal halide has given me the best light but these are really good as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last