[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

sump pump flow rate ???

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Question sump pump flow rate ???

So I am wanting a sump. I have a small tank to pretty much house my skimmer (hob) and a return pump. I need to life the water 3.5feet to make it back up to the tank. I want the water to flow slower in the sump so it gets a lot of filtration, I am thinking about planting mangroves and having a ton of macro algae in there. I know you want 5 or 6 times the volume of your DT but how do you do the life part again? (head?)
    -thanks
    Heidi

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

35 gallon hex.

I want a gentle flow in the sump 1st it is small, 2nd I want live sand and plants growing out the top. (mangroves & some different marco algae)

I do not have an overflow currently, I am still deciding weather to drill the tank or not. It will have one return, it's a hex so if drilled I want minimal holes. One return no matter what.

Size of plumbing I am not sure of, you may offer suggestions for that too

I know I need to lift the water 3 and a half feet back up to the display.

Think like a gentle refugium with a hob protein skimmer

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

EcoPlus 1056 Submersible Water Pump, 1,056 GPH, 70W - AquaCaveI have no idea if this brand is any good, but there in the link is a chart that shows flow rate with each pump and how it decreases w/ lift. Do I want my 35gallon times 5 or 6 (turnover per hour) to be after I accommodate for how much lift?? so would I want something rated for this many gph?? I am not even sure I am asking the right questions here . .. . help me out people

I want between 190 and 210 gph "flow" if you will through my sump.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

All pumps have a head loss curve. Places like Premium Aquatics, Drs. Foster & Smith and Marine Depot publish the charts some side by side so you can compare pumps.
    I am a fan of Eheim and Ocean Runner pumps personally and Eheim has several that fit your needs, say 200-250 or so GPH at about 5 feet of head by the time you figure in fittings and line losses. The Ocean Runner 2500 would probably be too big and the Ecoplus you refer to is too big also. Stick with a name brand from a trusted vendor.

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Here's a good calculator that I've used a few times. http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php An alternative option is placing the sump above the tank, the pump is in the tank and pumps up to the sump, the water flows back down from the sump, and no overflows are needed. You'll just need to drill the sump once, an acrylic tank would make it easier also, hmm and leds also. a bookshelf macro reef

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

you could go with a HOB overflow,most single one inch drains will equal out with a 600 gph pump. You can do this without drilling is what I'm trying to say.The HOB overflows work out pretty good for hex tanks and you don't lose to much tank space.As far as sump flow I always try to stay under 1000 gph to allow skimmer to do it's job.Hope that helps and good luck

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Heres a head loss calculator-

Captive Reefs - Head Loss Calculator

and a drain/overflow calculator-

Captive Reefs - Drain & Overflow Calculator

These will help alot.

I see that under 1000 gph is a good max for a sump, for the skimmer to do its job, but I am wondering what minimum GPH most recomend for flow through GPH should go through the sump.

What are the drawbacks/advantages to a faster or slower flow rate through a refuge?

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Heres a head loss calculator-

Captive Reefs - Head Loss Calculator

and a drain/overflow calculator-

Captive Reefs - Drain & Overflow Calculator

These will help alot.

I see that under 1000 gph is a good max for a sump, for the skimmer to do its job, but I am wondering what minimum GPH most recomend for flow through GPH should go through the sump.

What are the drawbacks/advantages to a faster or slower flow rate through a refuge?

That's a good question and only have my own theory of it.IMHO a fuge is just what it it's called a refuge so haveing equal size panels in the fuge zone will create an even water level and allow for an area for pods and cheato and what everelse you choose to grow to do their job.I really don't think the gph flowing in to the sump/fuge play's that big of a factor as long as the fuge area is fairly calm.Just my crazy thought's on it.As long as the drain flow doesn't exceed the skimmer your good in my book.Rember I'm alittle off key on this subject I won't even use cheato except to feed my tang a treat lol

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Personally I prefer lower flow. I run a MJ1200 as my return (50 breeder DT with a 45 gallon sump/fuge).

A few reasons:
    • Faster flow = more noise. (overflow gurgle and potentially return pump noise)
    • Lower flow = less chance of microbubbles

Heidi - the MJ option is inexpensive and very durable.

Tom

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I also run really slow. I run a quiet one 1200 for return, at 5 ft. I get about 100 gallons per hour out of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last