[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

t-8 led look to grow coral w/o expensive fixtures!!!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    carlitofish - Reefkeeper CR Sponsor
    First Name
    carl

Default t-8 led look to grow coral w/o expensive fixtures!!!

just bought 2 led t8 fixtures that can fit to any old shop light. they look to be 50/50. I'm very excited about the possibilities.

has anyone else tried them out yet?

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Got any pics?
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

Sounds good...who makes them. Any links for more information?
    BeakerBob - Past MMMC Club President, current Board Member
    imagephp?u1&amptypesigpic&ampdateline1261894023 - t-8 led look to grow coral w/o expensive fixtures!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carlitofish View Post
    just bought 2 led t8 fixtures that can fit to any old shop light. ......
    WARNING!!!!!

Do NOT put these in a shop light unless you like explosions, fires, and electrocution!

It says right on their page that it is for use in their fixtures only!

These are almost exactly like the old Sunbrite Gen 1 bulbs. Ballasts are internal to the tube; 90 low powered LEDs per foot.
    Last edited by pjr; 03-11-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

First Name
    carl

Quote Originally Posted by pjr View Post
    WARNING!!!!!

Do NOT put these in a shop light unless you like exposions, fires, and electrocution!

These are almost exactly like the old Sunbrite Gen 1 bulbs. Ballasts are internal to the tube; 90 low powered LEDs per foot.
    just hooked them up. they are sweet as pie. you are right about plugging them in as it popped my fuse. sorry no explosions. they are extremely bright. whole thing would cost around 150.00 if you want two. would easily grow coral in up to a 90 gallon tank with two. you definitely do not want to plug them in without rewiring the shop light to accommodate the led bulbs. the problem with shop lights is it has too much equipment in the guts...

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pjr View Post
    WARNING!!!!!

Do NOT put these in a shop light unless you like exposions, fires, and electrocution!

just hooked them up. they are sweet as pie. you are right about plugging them in as it popped my fuse. sorry no explosions. they are extremely bright. whole thing would cost around 150.00 if you want two. would easily grow coral in up to a 90 gallon tank with two. you definitely do not want to plug them in without rewiring the shop light to accommodate the led bulbs. the problem with shop lights is it has too much equipment in the guts...

ps. would be around 80 bucks if you want only one.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...99480281_n.jpg

First Name
    carl

Default no explostion or death. but do not plug them in a ballast.

nice pic of the light
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Are the cases metal (with heat sink "fins") or plastic?

Sunbrite sells clips that attach to the ends for about $5 per tube. They would work on these too, so you could "retro" them if you do't want to add a fixture.

These will work fine on LPS; if you want to grow acros, you'll need a bunch of them to get sufficient PAR.
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

First Name
    carl

i would say on a 40 gallon breeder many acros could easily grow and flourish with two bulbs. there are 288 leds I will set up a few tanks with this. I would say they will out last and out perform t 5s, pc's, and the ho leds i am now using smoke halides completely. so far, in all the tanks i have switched, i aM REAL pleased with led performance. this is simply a light that will out perform t5, pc and vho pound for pound every time.

i just got 6 300 watt leds delivered and they seem way brighter than a brand new 1000 watt bulb
    Last edited by carlitofish; 01-20-2012 at 09:05 PM.

First Name
    carl

here is a tank with 4 leds tank is only at two weeks old. now i have 12 variety of sps the tank is 10 x 3 x 3. all coral growth is insane. there a 6 leds now total.

this is only the live rock so far. this stuff came with all kinds of life on it. (there is a tiny acan in the bottom right.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last