[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

T5 + LED DIY Fixture

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Default T5 + LED DIY Fixture

I am starting a new reef, this one will be 36x18x22, (the height is yet to be determined) and I am thinking that a hybrid set up using what I have and LED would be a good choice.

A few years ago I made this:
    My current DIY project x3 NEW

I was thinking of doing something similar but this time I was going to use T5 and LED. My question has most to do with cooling, as most of the LED fixtures use a larger MASS of Aluminum, as a heat sink, and I am thinking of using a larger thin sheet actively cooled by fans. As thermal dynamics is not something on my current resume I wanted to ask those that would know.

So how does a heat sink that weighs X with the dimension of 12"x6"X2" differ from a sheet of aluminum that also weighs X but has a dimension of 36"x24"x0.050" in cooling potential.

3 T5 bulbs, Aquablue Special x2 and Blue Plus and 2 rows of Blue LED.

I am woefully illiterate in the language of LED drivers, bulbs (emitters), and acronyms. So if anyone has a handy guide to LED nomenclature that would be great!

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I'm running a T5 x LED hybrid and like it. I'm not well versed in the LED electronics or aluminum thermal dynamics so I can't help you there. I got my LEDs from LEDgroupbuy.com and really like the LED drivers they sell and the customer service is second to none.

Personally I would not mess around with aluminum sheets... get some heatsinks from heatsinksusa.com or keep an eye on the forums for someone offloading used ones.

Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Thanks guys, I won't do anything crazy. I'll have math to back up my plan once I get started that is for sure... Working at a bank will do that to you! LOL