[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

T5 retrofit

Bookmark and Share

Default T5 retrofit

lo0king to add mroe lighting to my tank! 75gal
    currently loking at T5s,

I can get a 2x54 bulb retrofit where each bulb has its own reflector.

OR

a 4x54 bulb fixture where its all under 1 relector.

Which one would be better? Does each light having its own reflector compare at all to a 4 bulb fixture?

Also, anyone got the lead on a place to pick up a retrofit for cheap? Tanks in advance.

im not afraid of wiring my own, but I would need some help to be pointed in the right direction on what all to buy.
    If anyones willing to help a fellow reefer out with some lighting technical info, it would be much appreciated.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Might want to wait for Dave to help you, he hold the title or "resident electrical guru".
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

im willing to wait. Will go ahead and post some stuff to help out.

Currently havea 4x65w PC fixture on the 75gal tank.
    Want to add T5 lighting to the tank. If its cheaper to buy all pieces seperate and wire it together, then i'll go that route.

I can get 2x54w T5, each bulb has individual reflector for $99 (doesnt include bulbs). Was thinking if I bought all my own parts, I could get a little bigger ballast to add 1 or 2 more 48" bulbs later on down the road.

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

I can get 2 reflectors, water-resistant ends, ballast, cord, all wiring, and standoffs for $99.

anyone know a place to get nice T5 bulbs for cheap?

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Might want to check F&S or Marine Depot (generally pretty good about running specials every now and again) Oddly enough it can depend on what color range you are looking for in T5's, since they have gained such popularity of late the price tags can fluctuate with stock.

9 times out of 10 you'll save big $$$ going the DIY route. Don't try to cut corners on the reflectors though... There is an amazing difference between high end reflectors and the cheap ones. Perpetual has a thread from a while back that really demonstrates this.

Big debate over ballasts, personally I say overdrive them and get every ounce you can, but provide for adequate cooling. But then again I like to soop up everything.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.