[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I'm sick of these huge Tunzes. What can replace 'em?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default I'm sick of these huge Tunzes. What can replace 'em?

I'm sick of looking at these huge Tunzes in my small tank. I have 5 now in an 18"wide x 24"tall x 72"wide tank. 2x6100's, on one side, 1 x 6060 and 6101 on the other. These are controlled (except the 6060) with a 7095. I have a nice 1" wave going. In the back I have 1 6125. They give great flow and no dead spots but they're huge.

I have $1000 to spend. Any ideas on what I can replace these 5 with and still have the same flow and control?
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I don't know Tom I'm still a Tunze guy. I think you should look at a closed loop if you really want small. Otherwise camouflage them.
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Tom,I just lost the same bulky view.I replaced evrything with two MP40's plenty of flow and the look is much cleaner.The two 40's create more then enough flow IMO and they can create a wave big ehough that it comes close to slapping out of the tank. and you'll have some change left over.You could also install a tunze's wave box instead.

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Tom,I just lost the same bulky view.I replaced evrything with two MP40's plenty of flow and the look is much cleaner.The two 40's create more then enough flow IMO and they can create a wave big ehough that it comes close to slapping out of the tank. and you'll have some change left over.You could also install a tunze's wave box instead.
    Well, I was thinking about two of the 40's, but they'll only put out 3100 each and there's my grand. I'm still going to be short some flow. What do you know about the mp60? It's about $750.00. I know it's around 7500gph, but will one be enough or do I need to supplement it with a 6' tank?
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I run 2 mp40's on a 72x24x22. I had 3 but to much flow. The mp60's are insane but you might need one more smaller powerhead for flow.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    I don't know Tom I'm still a Tunze guy. I think you should look at a closed loop if you really want small. Otherwise camouflage them.
    Lol. I have a closed loop, but the Dart just doesn't do much with those four spouts. I thought about upgrading to a barracuda, but the darn wattage is killing me.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    I run 2 mp40's on a 72x24x22. I had 3 but to much flow. The mp60's are insane but you might need one more smaller powerhead for flow.
    What kind of corals do you have with the two 40s? Maybe I'm thinking overkill and it will be enough.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I thought the same thing before I took the plung.The wide spread is much stronger then the tunze's/God it hurts to say this.I have been anti vortech for a long time.Truth be told I was wrong on my presumtions.They have done an excelant job with the eco smart wireless controlers and they have several excalent choices of water flow from tideal to just surge waves to calm lagoon flow.I was going to go with a 60 and a 40,but after talking to a rep I was convinced the dual 40's would do the job and I still can't run them at 100 %.They will literly blow the tissue off my sps.I can honestly say you won't regreet it.I was so impressed I switched the wifes tunze's out also.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

The MP40s move water differently than the Tunzes. I run a few of both in various tanks - The best analogy I can provide is the Tunzes move a stream of water....whereas the Vortechs seem to move virtually the whole water column.

The only downside I see with the MP-40s is that they can be a bit louder when run near full power.

That said, I think you'll be amazed at what 2 40's will do in your tank.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
    The MP40s move water differently than the Tunzes. I run a few of both in various tanks - The best analogy I can provide is the Tunzes move a stream of water....whereas the Vortechs seem to move virtually the whole water column.

The only downside I see with the MP-40s is that they can be a bit louder when run near full power.

That said, I think you'll be amazed at what 2 40's will do in your tank.
    I'm getting the picture about the Vortech pw's. Just coming to terms with the $1000. I like the idea of a wall of water as opposed to streams that I need to direct. Not worried about noise. I've got the guts in a fishroom. Sounds like a jet engine in there anyway. Good insulation.

Do you think I could get away with the one MP60 in my 6' tank? 750vs1000. Plus, not sure how two controllers would work to make the wave. Can you daisy chain them so they work in tandem?

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    I thought the same thing before I took the plung.The wide spread is much stronger then the tunze's/God it hurts to say this.I have been anti vortech for a long time.Truth be told I was wrong on my presumtions.They have done an excelant job with the eco smart wireless controlers and they have several excalent choices of water flow from tideal to just surge waves to calm lagoon flow.I was going to go with a 60 and a 40,but after talking to a rep I was convinced the dual 40's would do the job and I still can't run them at 100 %.They will literly blow the tissue off my sps.I can honestly say you won't regreet it.I was so impressed I switched the wifes tunze's out also.
    I really liked how your's looked, Chuck. Very cool how the wet side was barely taking any room in the tank. While I was there I should've asked for a demo, lol.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last