[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Stand recommendation

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Default Stand recommendation

Hi Everyone,

OK, I know the topic of aquarium stands may not be as exciting as say lighting or filtration, but I think it is something many in the hobby have probably had to think about, especially if you have kids.

I have a standard 29gallon tank that is in the process of being turned into a reef tank. I will start a separate thread on the tank likely after I upgrade my lights in the next month. Anyways, what i am looking for help with is choosing a sturdy, preferrably hard wood stand to replace the current wrought iron stand I have. The reason is not so much aesthetics, but rather safety as I have a 2 year old who loves the aquarium but sometimes bumps into the stand, holds onto the legs, and could possibly crawl in between the legs and under the stand. The stand is secured to the wall so it could not tip over. I just do not trust the build integrity of the stand, especially as it is starting to show areas of rust.

OK, so I have been looking for a hard wood stand to replace the metal stand. What would you recommend? I do need access to the back as I would like to run electrical wires into the back, or one day install a sump. Two I have been considering:
    1) Oak stand made by RJ Aquatics and sold by fishtanksdirect.com (Oak Signature Series 30 x 12), $325 shipped. According to RJ Aquatics (website, http://www.rjaquatics.com/Things_You...Know.html)says it is made of hardwood veneer plywood, and is less likely to warp than solid wood.
    2) A solid oak stand from glasscages.com (Glasscages.com - Oak Stands). These are cheaper (~$200 shipped), but unlike from RJ's do not come sealed/stained. I have read several negative reviews on the quality of their custom glass aquariums, which has me concerned, but have found no reviews on their stands.
    What are your thoughts? What stand did you go with if you were also thinking kid safety too? Do you know of another brand? Do you know of a Michigan company (i am in Ann Arbor) that constructs hard wood stands?
    If you are selling a stand that would work for a 29gallon, I would also be interested in hearing from.

Thanks for any in put!

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Build your own, it's cheaper. I built mine to suit my tank and needs. I think it cost me about 80

Here is a link
    http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/di...e-build-13642/[COLOR="Silver"]
    Last edited by bluwc; 12-07-2011 at 09:14 PM.

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by bluwc View Post
    Build your own, it's cheaper. I built mine to suit my tank and needs. I think it cost me about 80

Here is a link
    http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/di...e-build-13642/

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Here is a link
    http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/di...e-build-13642/
    You stand (and tank) look great. I am trying to avoid building my own for lack of time/tools/space in my apartment. With you stand, it looks like you used pine 2x4s to build the basic frame. Do you worry about this warping due to moisture from the sump?

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Mine is completely child proof-

Picture036 - Stand recommendation

Picture037 - Stand recommendation

Picture038 - Stand recommendation

Picture039 - Stand recommendation

Picture040 - Stand recommendation

Picture041 - Stand recommendation

Picture042 - Stand recommendation

Picture035 - Stand recommendation

Picture034 - Stand recommendation

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

video003 - Stand recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by BC United View Post
    You stand (and tank) look great. I am trying to avoid building my own for lack of time/tools/space in my apartment. With you stand, it looks like you used pine 2x4s to build the basic frame. Do you worry about this warping due to moisture from the sump?
    I used poly on it but either way I'm not worried about it. I built it in my living room and the nursery, it took a day so the wife was a little cooperative about it. Since it's somewhat finished, I don't have does on it still lol, it's in my living room. I have a 9mth old almost walking so I put a baby x pen around it cuz he always goes for the sump.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Actually there is a reef club in your area Ann arbor reef club our a2 reef, sir Patrick actually runs it and I'm sure someone in your area might be able to help build you a stand.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Might be able to talk my father in law into building the exact same stand, but in your dimensions, for around $200. Possibly less- stained and poly'd and ready to go.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

The Fish Doctors in Ypsilanti will also order you a stand, if you would prefer a manufactured one. Give them a call, and ask for Tom and mention Captivereefs.com- 734-434-1030.

Fish Dad - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

For a 29 gallon tank there is a big selection of nice stands already on the market.
    Very common popular size just make sure you know what you want to do with it, like a sump under it.

I think your going to find its hard to fit your equipment under the stand with only 12 inches wide.
    A 2x4 construction would be overkill for a standard 29 gallon but it easy to work with.

I have a 29 fresh water tank and a home made stand, used 3/4 plywood with no 2x4, but no way could I put a sump under it.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Lots of places sell stands. Great Lakes Aquariums and Pruess pets. Also Fish Doctors can get stands. Great Lakes Aquariums has the best selection though. Good luck.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Yeah Larry, but didn't Great Lakes totally screw up your stand and then told you to fix/cut it yourself?

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Yes Troy but it was a easy cut and fix. Still can't beat there price with a stick.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last