[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

thinking LED???

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Thanks for the input.I've heard the same from others also.Hows the lite spread??I've been looking at tanks on youtube and they seam to conflict with each other.Some have them right on top of the dt others have them 12+ above the tank.What height did you hang yours? I noticed the info on AI's site shows from 12 to 36 above the water line.I am planning to hang at twelve inches and then adjust the power with my LUX meter.Your link to rc didn't work.Anyway you could post a pic showing these bad boy's in action=Tx
    Here's the link to the AquaIllumination PAR thread. There are hundreds of photos from myself and dozens of others showing every imaginable tank, mounting method and height/spread. Your AIs will be equipped with 40 degree optics on the inside emitters and 70 degree optics along the perimeter. As a result, your spread will be greater (albeit at a loss of PAR at depth) than that displayed in my photos.

Be conservative in your LUX comparisons - LUX is a measurement of light/brightness perceived by the human eye. PAR represents the spectrum between 400~700nm used for photosynthesis. Your LEDs will register lower on your LUX meter, while generating MUCH more PAR then your eye or LUX meter will indicate in comparison to your prior lights.
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 04-13-2011 at 05:33 PM.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

First Name
    Thomas

Duplicate - Please delete
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    I have been thinking about the AI leds too. Here's a couple questions: What is the difference between the "super blue" and the "super white"? Is it a par thing? Or is it just appearance? Is one brighter then the other? Is one better for corals then the other?
    Thanks for any and all information about this, Great thread idea btw!
    Heidi
    The main difference is the emitters. The SOL Whites are WWB (White/White/Blue) whereas the SOL Blues are W/B/RB (White/Blue/Royal Blue.) IMO, the W/B/RB provides a significant improvement in coloration. Photobucket is currently down, but I'll add a photo of my tank with PAR measurements taken while I was midway through the process of upgrading from the SOL Whites to the Blues that shows both side-by-side.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Not having access to a PAR meter where would you suggest I start when replacing 2x250w XM 15k MH bulbs with 2 AI Sol Superblues? Thye will be right at 12" above the waters surface. I run my MH about 8 hours a day right now.

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRat View Post
    Not having access to a PAR meter where would you suggest I start when replacing 2x250w XM 15k MH bulbs with 2 AI Sol Superblues? Thye will be right at 12" above the waters surface. I run my MH about 8 hours a day right now.
    What size tank? Any pics? Your height will likely be determined by your tank size and needed coverage - Then adjust PAR using the dimming functions on the controller. Coral placement and aquascaping also factor in.

This should help give you an idea of coverage and PAR...

AI SWSB100 - thinking LED???

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Great info and nice tank.I do understand the lux meter diffrence.I have compared Par to lux in my tank and feel confident that I can establish similar lite levels.I ordered all super blues.And plan to start at 50% lite levels then slowly creep back up to what I am presently getting with the MH.How much savings have you experienced switching to the AI's?? I am looking forward to reduction of heat and won't miss the 15 amps of power that I will no longer need. I am expecting to turn my chiller into an end table soon.It will be just a safety net and the fans will be history for sure,Wonder how more amps I'll save looseing four fans, lol
    I only ask about the saveings because with a 2300 dollar upgrade it's nice to hear about the money saveings.

thenewesttank - thinking LED???

Tank is a standard 6 ft 150,I will be adding three super blues and one on the frag tank
    Last edited by binford4000; 04-14-2011 at 04:13 PM.

motorcityreefs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    brandon

Hay chuck I am saving $120 per month with my led setup just got the bill, can't wait to change the frag tank over.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by motorcityreefs View Post
    Hay chuck I am saving $120 per month with my led setup just got the bill, can't wait to change the frag tank over.

sweet !!!

Wait a minuate,I work for the electric company.Plug those MH back in!! !LOL Good to hear Brandon

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Great info and nice tank.I do understand the lux meter diffrence.I have compared Par to lux in my tank and feel confident that I can establish similar lite levels.I ordered all super blues.And plan to start at 50% lite levels then slowly creep back up to what I am presently getting with the MH.How much savings have you experienced switching to the AI's?? I am looking forward to reduction of heat and won't miss the 15 amps of power that I will no longer need. I am expecting to turn my chiller into an end table soon.It will be just a safety net and the fans will be history for sure,Wonder how more amps I'll save looseing four fans, lol
    I only ask about the saveings because with a 2300 dollar upgrade it's nice to hear about the money saveings.

Tank is a standard 6 ft 150,I will be adding three super blues and one on the frag tank
    Beautiful setup Binford

Truthfully, I haven't done an electrical usage/cost comparison, as that wasn't my primary purpose for going LED - although here are a few observations.

• Electricity - It's difficult to be precise due to the daily power rampings but in approximation - I switched out 2 tanks each using 150W of MH and 72W of T5s totaling 466W for LEDs averaging about ~180W in total (~62% reduction in electrical use.)
    • Heat - Zip, Zero, Nada. There is virtually NONE that makes it way to the tank. My lights are hung ~18" above the tank and radiate no detectable heat whatsoever into the water. In fact, one offset is your heaters will run more. Assuming you don't keep your home very warm, or have very exothermic pumps - you'll be turning off your chiller.
    • Noise - One of my favorite benefits. The fans (when they run) in the AIs are virtually silent. At my power settings less than ~50%, you would have to put your ear directly next to the AI to hear it. The Maxspect is slightly louder, but still virtually silent. I would hate to have to go back to the fan noise associated with MHs.

Plus all the other benefits (More PAR than you'll likely ever need, custom coloration, actinic pop, dimming, lunar cycles, 10+ year emitter life...)

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll post a new pic when I get the leds hung.Got hopefully only one more week tell they arrive. Want to throw a big thanks to Tom,Luke and Barbie at Ypsi fish doctors for the great advice as usual and matching the price of the on line retailors without haveing to ask them to.This is a huge upgrade for an already expensive system and I really appreciate it guy's.I am really happy to spend this money to support such an outstanding business.This is why I drive 35 miles one way to your location. You guy's are the best

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last