[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Tunze in trouble?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Tunze in trouble?

WASHINGTON, Aug 25, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) - The Lewis Firm PLLC is conducting an investigation into potential violations of consumer protection and false advertising laws by Tunze Aquarientechnik GMBH, a Penzberg, Germany-based manufacturer of aquarium components, and its North American subsidiary, Tunze USA LLC (collectively, “Tunze”). The firm’s investigation centers on misrepresentations regarding the output flow rates produced by certain propeller-based aquarium circulation pumps manufactured by Tunze and sold throughout the United States.

According to a recent study performed by engineers from Penn State University, Tunze’s advertisements and promotional literature drastically overstate the output flow rates produced by at least three of its Turbelle Stream 2 series aquarium pumps. Specifically, the study found that the stated flow rates of Tunze’s 6105, 6205 and 6305 series pumps are exaggerated by 46%, 80% and 120%, respectively. (See http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/7/aafeature.) By contrast, Tunze’s competitors were found to have either understated or accurately reported the flow rates of their propeller pumps. (See http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011...p_flowrate.jpg.)

The Lewis Firm PLLC is a Washington, DC law firm with extensive experience in the investigation and prosecution of fraud and consumer fraud claims. The firm specializes in the representation of consumers in product defect matters. If you own a Tunze Turbelle Stream 2 model 6105, 6205 or 6305 aquarium pump and wish to obtain additional information about your rights, please contact The Lewis Firm PLLC by email at info@lewis-firm.com. Please include the model number of your pump, the date of purchase and your state of residence in your correspondence.

Michael P. Lewis
    The Lewis Firm PLLC
    901 New York Ave., N.W.
    Ste. 550
    Washington, DC 20001
    (202) 630-6257
    info@lewis-firm.com

Attorney Advertising. (C) 2010 The Lewis Firm PLLC. The law firm responsible for this advertisement is The Lewis Firm PLLC. Prior results do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome with respect to any future matter. We are happy to discuss your particular case.

Contact
    The Lewis Firm PLLC
    Michael P. Lewis, 202-630-6257
    info@lewis-firm.com
    Last edited by MizTanks; 08-26-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wow not good. However they should run another study!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    Wow not good. However they should run another study!
    They did. That's what the links in the comment are about.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Bummer deal. I heard nothing bit good things about tunze. I will stick with my vortech!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

Of course their is a lawsuit, it is America after all. A standardized method of measure should come from this
    though. I have read that some of the Tunze numbers were kind of assumed.

The.Maxi.Man - Reefkeeper CR Member

Be ready to receive your settlement check!

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Well it doesn't mean they are bad pumps, it just means you can't trust Germans, jk.

CR Member
    First Name
    Russ

Lewis Law sounds like a one-man ambulance-chasing bottom-feeder. His web site consists of an "under construction" page.

Why would a *reputable* law firm make a press release that they are merely looking into something - i.e. conducting an investigation? The only answer is to fabricate a case, then troll for "victims" to be plaintiffs.

And so-called the press release clearly states that it is an advertisement.

I truly hope that no Tunze pump owners contact this scumbag...

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I believe the report that found Tunze numbers are low also found that vortec numbers were high... so aren't both companies guilty of false advertising?

Personally I think a lawsuit is ridiculous. Yes, it is unfortunate that the flow numbers from one study suggest that the Tunze numbers are low. But there is no standard for how to test flow rates. Besides, why is a over estimating worse that under estimating?

Tom

Because Vortechs are good and Tunze....??....Not so much?
    Disclaimer:
    (Opinion based purely of the fact that I have Vortechs and not Tunzes although I have a 6015 and if they claim it moves any water at all they are exaggerating)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    I believe the report that found Tunze numbers are low also found that vortec numbers were high... so aren't both companies guilty of false advertising?

Personally I think a lawsuit is ridiculous. Yes, it is unfortunate that the flow numbers from one study suggest that the Tunze numbers are low. But there is no standard for how to test flow rates. Besides, why is a over estimating worse that under estimating?

Tom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last