[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

ushio plasma cutters!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    jay13 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jay

Default ushio plasma cutters!

So i currently run ushio se 400 watt 10k bulbs on m59 ballasts with luminarc large reflectors over my 180 and enough is enough. While no one is ever happy with halide colors I "gave in" and just dealt with the overpowering crystal white these bulbs throw. BUT now the Bleaching is starting. As stated they are in luminarc large reflectors and the height of the bulb is 21 inches above the water line. So I need those running 400 watters to come forth with some bulb suggestions that actually will DROP intensity and most likely PAR. I supplement with 2 uri VHO actinics so maybe that helps. Ran xm 20k and they were too blue, reeflux 12k need not apply, what a waste of electricity there. So any advice? And no, water temperature has never been a problem so no addition to the Bleaching problem. Stays at a constant 78 degrees with lights on or off, it is just these plasma cutter bulbs i have.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Hope you get some good advice! I have never owned 400w MH lighting.

First Name
    Jay

some... i really think ushio's claim on what their 10k 400's produce is accurate. just way too much for me. now switch to say reeflux 12k and it is a dim bulb with possibly a 12k color. xm20k? blue but dim. so bluer and a little dimmerthan the ushio 10k is the key, what bulb that is you got me.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

How many 400's are you running?? Your right those are some very bright bulb's.Radion bulbs come to mind but they're 20k produces allot of blue.Have you tried pulse right.I know they are a cheaper bulb but they produce allot less par. But running 400 watters it is alway's hard to get the par levels correct unless you have a very deep tank.Ever thought of stepping down to 250 watt ballast's.Depending on how many pendants you have hanging that might be a better match for a 180.

First Name
    Jay

i have two 400's above it. started with two, then three 250's and switched. two was not enough and three covered the tank. really switched just so i would only have to buy two new bulbs instead of three when the time came. I kinda knew when i got it that the 10k was just too bright but was and still am in the "bulb game". 2 400's is perfect, even the dim old xm20k's would work for those that like that look. i just want the "true" 14k look, and with that i hope to dim it just a little. been trying a few bulbs here and there, ushio 14k's are what i want to see, just not buy and then hate. i would even screen them if it looked good!

First Name
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    How many 400's are you running?? Your right those are some very bright bulb's.Radion bulbs come to mind but they're 20k produces allot of blue.Have you tried pulse right.I know they are a cheaper bulb but they produce allot less par. But running 400 watters it is alway's hard to get the par levels correct unless you have a very deep tank.Ever thought of stepping down to 250 watt ballast's.Depending on how many pendants you have hanging that might be a better match for a 180.
    Thought about it for a while and figured what the heck! Ordered 2 plusrite bulbs, pulserite (different spelling) is probably the same thing and just a common typo/misspelling. I ordered 2 bulbs, one 14k and one 20k in 400w. Plusrite bulbs seem to have more positive than negative feedback on most of the reefer sites.They are actually stamped with the company name and are boxed in a company labeled box unlike some of the bulbs from "trustdeals" on ebay that come in a white box with not a mark on them. Does that make a difference? Maybe only in my mind but we'll see. $31 shipped for both bulbs, hard argument there. What they don't have is a Sanjay type study on PAR! So anyone willing to take a reading or two on these once they are in?

First Name
    Jay

Got the plusrite 400 watt bulbs literally 10 minutes ago and plugged em in. So far so good. First impression is the 14k looks like a reflux 12k maybe a little brighter and the 20k is bright and a mix between radium colors and xm 20k. Burn in time will surely change them some so we shall see. still open to someone with a par meter getting some numbers on them. gotta go clean the glass to get a better look at them

First Name
    Chris

So far- between a radium and an xm20k colors sound pretty good! Hope the burn in looks even better.

First Name
    Jay

The 20k bulb is the one i am going to go with i think. if there is small to no change in color and intensity then i am happy. first bulb that i could really turn off the vho actinics and still be happy with how it looks. time will tell.

First Name
    Chris

Any chance of a pic???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last