[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

using sponge filters for food cultures?

Bookmark and Share
    dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Default using sponge filters for food cultures?

so i have been culturing pods for some time now to feed my pipefish. the pipefish are very dependent on these cultures and i would like to make them as efficient as possible. right now the cultures require light and frequent feeding, partial water changes ( usually dont while harvesting), and the use of Chloram-X. i was wondering if i was to add a sponge filter to my culture would it help the water quality? mainly the concern for these cultures is Ammonia spikes as usual.

i am familiar with how the sponge filters work but i have never used one so i am not aware of how powerful they are. i dont want them to trap the young pods as i need them to grow up to be harvested, but i would like something that will trap detritus and host beneficial bacteria.

do you think they will be useful in my cultures? each culture is 5 gal and i am raising 3 species of pod the adult sizes range from .3mm to 3mm depending on species. some of the young pods can be as small as .04mm, so please keep that in mind.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I would think the strength of the filter is totally dependent on the size of the air pump you use to run it. A Whisper 10 would probably be enough. It's for tanks up to 10g.
    Personally I think it would be a great addition to your culture tanks. Aeration, beneficial bacteria and a constant food source.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

i use a 40 liter/min industrial air pump...

now ill explain. that pump supplies air to all of my food cultures and all of my phytoplankton cultures. all lines have gang valves so i can control the flow independently.

i would need enough air to circulate the water and keep the food suspended for the pods, would that make the filter too strong?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Not with the gang valve. As long as there's no air passing through the sponge. Should be just fine.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com