[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

wave maker?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default wave maker?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113782
    Switching Current Water Director (SCWD)
    * Produces waves with your existing pump
    * The most energy-efficient wavemaker available
    * Bi-directional water movement

SCWD uses your existing pump to create bi-directional water movement in your reef aquarium. Plumbed inline, SCWD directs incoming water to two alternating outputs, switching automatically at a rate depending on incoming pressure. It delivers quiet, smooth operation, and is clog-resistant. Features low back pressure so there
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

That one looks good, but I was more interested in this one.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113782
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

I have the Wave Master Pro and I really like it. There are many who claim it is tough on pumps to turn them on and off like that. I noticed that a few of my pumps made a bad buzzing noise on startup and that was annoying, but not the machines fault. It just depends on what your pumps sound like when they turn on wether it will bother you or not. I might have mine for sale soon, as I understand Seios are the worst for startup noise, and I am going to be running 4 seios in my new tank. If I decide I don't like the noise I will be selling the wave maker.
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

There has been quite a bit of fuss over the SCWD's, the concept is great however they seem to really need a high volume pump to overcome the head pressure created by the switching mechanism and reports have it they appear prone to a rather short life span, or at least requiring very regular maintenace as a preventative to failing. Means regularly removing it from the return system for cleaning, since it's almost always below the water level the odds of a very wet floor/carpet go up dramatically.

Overall turnover in the tank has been reconsidered by the 'experts' in the field and the opinion is that a turnover rate in the order of 30-40 times the tank volume to be more beneficial not only for stony coral but for all, provided the overall flow is of a wide dispersal pattern and not laminar streams just blasting away at certain areas of the tank.

From that, currently we have a pair of the Seio M1500's plus the two return pumps brings up the turnover to a little over 4000gph in our 180, so we are going to add another pair of them (likely the M2600s) in the next week or so to double the current turnover rate and create some chaotic turbulance. The tank is heavily populated and fed often so this should help keep excess organics and things suspended in the water column much longer to be skimmed away.

--Tyler, I like the new avatar!
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I agree with Dakar on the Squids.They do put extra head pressure on pumps causing a reduction in flow rate.If not cleaned bi-monthly,they seem prone to failure from calcium buildup.I recently read a thread discussing velocity/flow rates/head pressure with SQUIDS.Seems 700GPH is optimal for this device.Of course,your gonna need about 1100-1200gph@0' head pump to achieve that.
    The QuietOne4000 is rated at 1017gph@0'.In my tank i have the same pump.With 3-elbows,2-45's,and 1" PVC @4' head i'm doing 720ish.I think with the additional pressure from the SQUID,it would bring that down to550ish.The flow chart for the QuietOne4000(high head pressure version) pump claims 900gph@4' head so after SQUID loss,that should put you close to the 700gph mark.A MAG12 would be another choice.
    AS for the wavemakers,I wouldn't waste my money on one.All they do is turn your pumps/powerheads off and on.In most tanks,they don't have nowhere near enough flow as it is.Why would you then want to cycle your pumps on and off so now only 2 of your 4 powerheads are on at 1 time.For the cost of that wavemaker in the link above,you could buy a closed loop pump and really be able to provide some current.

Dave whats this "SQUID" you speak of, I think I remember you mentioning it but just provide some links maybe?
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I recently built a Close Loop using a Mag 9 and SCWD. I am not exactly impressed with the out put of the system. It is cool to have the jets turn off but the amout of output is pretty low for the amount of money I spent.

One of the major problem I ran into was getting the input and output lines balanced so that the pump would not captivate (sp?) or chatter. All said and done I probably spent roughly $80 dollars on just PVC piping and tubing. I actually built two different inputs and outputs before I found a set-up that worked. I spent several weeks just designing, building, gluing and testing everything before I found some that was just OK.

Between the cost of the piping, pump and SCWD, I could have bought some really nice high output power heads that I could have just installed and enjoyed from day one.

Squid,meant SQWD.Its a mechanically driven switching device that is plumbed on to your return line.The SQWD switches its output from left to right about every 7 seconds.

segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

WOW....so.....a 150gal tank.....to really have a "good flow"....I'm looking at 6000gph?
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

yeah,sounds about right to me.That will bring you to a 40x turnover which is about what i use in my moderate flow LPS tank.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last