[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Wet/ dry or Canister filter for new 50 gallon reef tank ?

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Wet/ dry or Canister filter for new 50 gallon reef tank ?

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#Getting ready to start up a 50 gallon reef tank... need some advise... on few questions- #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#1. Better to get a wet / dry filter or canister ?? Also, which of these filters will be quieter? #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#2. Should I purchase a chiller.. for the reef tank... if yes.... I do not want to spend, way too much money on the chiller...can someone recommend a good brand...#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Any advise will be greatly.. appreciated#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Thanks#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Limpit - Reefkeeper CR Member

1. Go with a sump instaed of a wet / dry or a canister.
    2. Depends on several things. What type of lighting are you going to use, where is the tank going to be located , ect.
    If the tank is going to get too hot then yes, you will need a chiller. BUT, many people get by using fans and other ways to vetilate their tanks thus keeping the heat down.
    Happy Reefing!

As i research it, a s ump is just another tank of water thats below your main tank, is this correct?

I kinda have the same question as him. I planned on building a wet/dry system myself for under my tank. Would just a plain old sump be more beneficial? Havea protein skimmer, should be here so0n

Thanks

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by pass1over
    As i research it, a s ump is just another tank of water thats below your main tank, is this correct?
    I kinda have the same question as him. I planned on building a wet/dry system myself for under my tank. Would just a plain old sump be more beneficial? Havea protein skimmer, should be here so0n
    Thanks
    A sump gives you an easy way to increase the total water volume of your system, and also provides for an out the way place to run heaters, skimmers and the like. Since they generally have a very high turnover rate this make s for the ideal location for FW top offs and anything being dosed to the system.

The addition of a refugium and some marco algae creates a biological filter and offers a safe haven for raising other fauna.

A wet/dry will work, for a limited amount of time, they are good for removing ammonia and some other harmful stuff from the water, but it will fill with junk removed from the water quickly and the mdeia will become a huge source for nitrates that will pour back into your system. A sump/refuge is a better route to go.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i had a similar question seeing that you look like you have alot to offer for information about sumps and rufuge tanks is it better to have three differnt units and have the water transfered from one to the other untill reaching back to the tank or would having them set up in a larger acrilic tank with setions to separate themstill serve the same purpose? i am just looking into starting one for my new tank i am just trying to get more information about the benifits to having one and differnt ways i can make one work. even some picturs will workif anyone has some.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

First Name
    Dave

Here's a thread that may give you some inspirations on sumps and refuges. There are a bunch more buried all around the board... Use the search function and you'll find tons of stuff.... or just ask away....

http://www.captivereefing.com/viewtopic.php?t=554
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Hey Dakar, where's that link??? LOL

I use a 30 gl to house my recirc skimmer with extra LR and no direct lighting as well as a 55 gl divided into 3 chambers(DSB-fuge/plenum-fuge/and return for a submersible 900 gph pump). Although my display is only a 55 gl, I have added about 80 more potential gallons to the system and know first hand that I have a much more stable water quality.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

First Name
    Dave

CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#another fast question where does all the mechanical filteration take place in a sump type set up? where do you keep filter media? and does a sump keep the water clear just like a big canister will?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

You can still use all of the eliments as those used in a wet/dry besides the bio-balls or any other wet/dry media... that is the source of the nitrates.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying