[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

What do you consider to be the best Protein Skimmer?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Default What do you consider to be the best Protein Skimmer?

I am in NO way attempting to start a debate here. I just want to know what you consider to be the best protein skimmer on the market at this time for my new tank. I am thinking about getting a new one for my 70 gallon, it is going to be an insump set up...let me know what you think would be best. Thanks for the advice! -DIRT
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

CR Member

Yes I would like to know as well on this topic. I have the CPR AquaFuge Pro and it has a Skimmer built in to the setup, but I would like to add an additional skimmer at the pump end of the tank.

I have a 55G tank, but I am looking for a larger rated Skimmer to help keep it clean.

Without trying to start a debate either, I think that the best skimmers out there are the Deltec skimmers. MyReefCreations and Euro-Reef are really good. ASM skimmers are Euro-Reef clones for the most part. I think the Berlin skimmers are good, and I think I've heard good things about the Coralife skimmers, but I'm not sure, maybe I'm thinking of another kind.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I believe all the ones perpetual listed or good skimmers I'm plaining
    on getting a ASM for my 75 I'm setting up.
    My reason i believe it is the best for the price.
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

I have the coral life skimmer the 75$ one, and as long as you adjust the setting on it every 4 to 6 days (due to evaporation) I see no problems with it. The minor bubbles it releases is annoying but it has a trap for this, and seems to be working as well as possible.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Any decent skimmer *can* work and perform well.... but some just require more tuning and in general playing around with or making minor modifications to maintain contant water levels and such to reach the point of acceptable or better performance.

Personally, I like the Berlin style, the multiple chambers the water must traverse *seems* to allow for more contact time with the air bubbles. But with that being said my airstone driven skimmer really rocks too, too bad the air pump is the lousest part of that whole system now. But if I get my hands on a very large air pump I like to do a side by side comparison between the Berlin and an equally sized airstone hacked DIY type skimmer.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by dakar
    Any decent skimmer *can* work and perform well.... but some just require more tuning and in general playing around with or making minor modifications to maintain contant water levels and such to reach the point of acceptable or better performance.

Personally, I like the Berlin style, the multiple chambers the water must traverse *seems* to allow for more contact time with the air bubbles. But with that being said my airstone driven skimmer really rocks too, too bad the air pump is the lousest part of that whole system now. But if I get my hands on a very large air pump I like to do a side by side comparison between the Berlin and an equally sized airstone hacked DIY type skimmer.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Yeah Dakar makes a good point, they all seem to be based on their "tuning" requirements, and as he said if you tune even the cheapest one everyday I dont see why it shouldnt work as the most expensive ones.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

The main thing about a skimmer is bubble size and reaction time... the skimmer body is a basic definition of where the main reaction happens and where the waste is sent for separation.A "cheapo" skimmer and stock pump w/ the addition of a high end needlewheel pump(for a recirculating effect-recirc style) can bring some serious abilities to the once "cheapo" skimmer.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

That is the reason i don't like the low end skimmers
    I'm a set it and forget it kind of person
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I'd also like to point out,even your high-end skimmers won't perform well if they're not an optimum location.I have an ER skimmer with a Sedra3500 that is located/setup optimally.I can get 20oz(1 1/4 collection cup) of skimmate a day from it.I also have a brand new ASM G-2 with Sedra3500 on my new 75gal thats in an open sump with turbulent flow and an unstable water level.It barely gets a collection cup in 1 week.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last