[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

What kind of MH bulbs is everyone using/tried

Bookmark and Share
    davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default What kind of MH bulbs is everyone using/tried

Just wanted everyone to share their experiences with all the different bulbs they are using/have used.
    I've used the old style CV10k,new style CV10k,XM10k,and am currently using Iwasaki 6.5k all of the 250w mogul variety.The first release of the CV10k was the best looking.brightest 10k bulb i've seen.Too bad it had higher UVB levels than most bulbs and it fried alot of corals.The new-style CV10k had a very nice color that was close to a 12-14k on my IC ballast but it didn't have as much PAR as the old.The XM10k i only got to use for a few days before my old-style icecap quit firing it.I found it to be rather yellowish for a 10k.The Iwasaki i'm using is very bright but it also has the same yellowish tint.Blues and yellow show up well with this bulb but purple and greens are kinda washed out.
    My next bulb I'll be using is the new CoralVue reeflux10k that tested well in Sanjays spectral analysis tests.I got to see it on a friends tank and was impressed.I like the fact that it has a spectral peak@450nm(same as radiums)where as most 10k's peak@420

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Will the only bulb iv used is Hamilton 10K all was good growth with it

But I'm thanking of going to a 14 or 15K to up the color a little
    i have the VHO Act but i like it a little more blue thin whit i get
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

I've used the CV 20k... not a good choice, IMO. I've used the XM10k... I really like, but yellowish as claimed so act supplimentation suggested. Finally, I've used the AB 20k and also like, but will be going to the Phoenix on my next change.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Due the CV's have a similar PAR as the Sakai's? My research (now probably outdated) showed only the HQI's had a higher PAR for deeper tanks. Not that I'd really consider changing, eveything is just plain flourishing under the saki's, we are getting tremendous growth.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

no way,there in the middle of the pack as far as PAR ratings,I just love the color they bring out.

I've got two 250W mogul CoralVue 20,000k over one of my 120G tanks and I like them a lot. They're getting rather old, but they still have a crisp blue color. I don't have anything light demanding in that tank. My other 120G tank has an Ushio 10,000K DE bulb over it (used to be 2 but a ballast crapped out) The 10,000K Ushio is pretty crisp white, but looks a tad yellow compared to the 20,000K CV. All in all, I like it though.

I just got and installed a Hamilton 14,000K 250W SE bulb over my 26G Bow over the weekend. It's got a great color, but I can't really give an honest answer on it until it burns in. I had a 96W powerquad 50/50 over the tank while I was setting up my pendant, but it's obvious that the new halides just rocks the PC bulb. My zoos were fading to brown and they already perked up a bit after a few hours under the halide. I wouldn't call the halide THAT much brighter than the powerquad, but like I said, it's not burned in yet. I'll let you guys know how it looks in a few weeks. So far, so good.

Eric
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.