[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Who's happy with their LED fixtures? I'm not.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default Who's happy with their LED fixtures? I'm not.

Two out of three of the cheap chinese LED fixtures I bought not long ago have burned out (go figure).

The blues still work, but the whites are gone. I sent one back within the warranty time, but that one went out again and I'm assuming the warranty is over by now. I paid $145 each on a group buy. I think they were the 120 watt models.

Who's had their LED fixture for a year or so and are happy with them? What are they, How much did you pay and where did you get it?

I'd like to keep it in the $250 each range or a little more if it's quality. I need two of them, 120w or around there.

OR...Does anybody know which driver ( or how to figure that out) to buy to fix this thing? I can remove screws and solder pretty well, lol.
    Thanks,
    Tom
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Toro View Post
    Two out of three of the cheap chinese LED fixtures I bought not long ago have burned out (go figure).

The blues still work, but the whites are gone. I sent one back within the warranty time, but that one went out again and I'm assuming the warranty is over by now. I paid $145 each on a group buy. I think they were the 120 watt models.

Who's had their LED fixture for a year or so and are happy with them? What are they, How much did you pay and where did you get it?

I'd like to keep it in the $250 each range or a little more if it's quality. I need two of them, 120w or around there.

OR...Does anybody know which driver ( or how to figure that out) to buy to fix this thing? I can remove screws and solder pretty well, lol.
    Thanks,
    Tom
    Tom,
    We have been running AI SOL blues for three years now. Never had a single issue yet. They sell refurbished ones on there site from time to time in the price range your looking for. Or you could go for broke and get the Orphek's. Both fixtures create good par numbers! Here is some links:

Orphek ATLANTIK LED Light ? ATLANTIK Product Page ? Orphek

http://shop.aquaillumination.com/

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

I'm happy with my reef breeders
    Last edited by dputt88; 12-20-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

I hate my led bought it before I knew anything I listened to one of the lfs workers. I should of did some research it is a ecoxotic panorama marine led

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I like mine we'll enough. I ought to since they're DIY. Currently they are just neutral whites and royal blues, but I just bought new drivers and some "exotic" spectra LEDs as an upgrade.

I buy all of my stuff from LEDGroupBuy.com. You should check out their Lumia full spectrum LEDs. You might even be able to reuse the heatsinks and housings if you went DIY.

Tom

Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

I bought two of the cheap chinese LED lights. They seem to be working for me. Stuff is growing, but I am not a huge fan of the coloring.
    rc Hopkins sig - Who's happy with their LED fixtures? I'm not.

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

When I was building fixtures about a year ago,I did some experimenting with some fixtures from China.I ran into the same problems, either the growth was super slow and you couldn't really customize the color at all or they broke and it was a pain to get them fixed.I thought the fixture that I built was working out well until I bought two Kessil 350w tuna blues and all my sps took off. Great coloration and good coverage, haven't looked back since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk 4

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Tom,
    We have been running AI SOL blues for three years now. Never had a single issue yet.
    +1 - AI's have been rock solid for me. I've tentatively decided to go with Kessil's A360We for my 8X30.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I've got a DIY Led fixture. Nearly all my blues burned out within few month of each other, but was able to replace them for about $30 (still not bad considering I got 3 years out of them). I'm sure the failure was because of heat. When I replaced them, I also added a fan...the heat sink is now cool to the touch.

I would be skeptical of any manufactured fixture that felt hot to the touch as that IMO is going to result in a shorter LED lifespan. If you get a fixture like this, adding a fan would most likely extend the life.

Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Some good reputable folks on another site recommended Evergrow LED's on ebay. They look a lot like the ajm's that failed on me, but they must have better guts.

Anybody on CR have any experience with them? I think I'm pulling the trigger on two tonight, but thought I'd check.
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last