[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Whos more power hungry?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default Whos more power hungry?

A chiller trying to hold an outdoor water at 80 - 85 degrees in 95+ degree weather.

Or multiple 75 & 150watt Metal Halides? (Just to give a number I'd say minimum of 4).

Im debating about trying to grow outdoors free light! or indoors.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

The chiller will be more power hungry. You should consider buying a "kill-o-watt" meter like I did. It cost me $30, and I plug in everything I'm considering buying to see how much power it will consume. For example, I thought I would buy a dehumidifier so my a/c wouldn't have to work as hard. I have a 8000 BTU A/C that keeps the fish room cool all summer. It uses 800w of power. The dehumidifier uses 750w of power. Needless to say, I decided I didn't need yet another energy hog and quickly squashed that idea.

If you have a shallow tank, 70w and 150w DE bulbs will do okay. If the tank is taller, elevate your livestock so it gets enough lighting.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

Quote Originally Posted by melev View Post
    The chiller will be more power hungry. You should consider buying a "kill-o-watt" meter like I did. It cost me $30, and I plug in everything I'm considering buying to see how much power it will consume. For example, I thought I would buy a dehumidifier so my a/c wouldn't have to work as hard. I have a 8000 BTU A/C that keeps the fish room cool all summer. It uses 800w of power. The dehumidifier uses 750w of power. Needless to say, I decided I didn't need yet another energy hog and quickly squashed that idea.

If you have a shallow tank, 70w and 150w DE bulbs will do okay. If the tank is taller, elevate your livestock so it gets enough lighting.
    It will be a very shallow tank because it I want to have a go at propagation. Thats why I was probably going to go with the 70w or 150w bulbs. Thing is I do not have a chiller to try to kill-o-watt on.

Then err on the side of caution. Don't purchase equipment without knowing if it will do the job. Why spend money twice, once due to the not knowing and then later for what you should have gotten in the first place.

Your lighting will be fine if you do it indoors. Indoors you have far better evironmental controls.

If you want to cool the tank, fans will help a lot. In a greenhouse, some use swamp coolers to drop the building temperature about 10 degrees inside.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

Then err on the side of caution. Don't purchase equipment without knowing if it will do the job. Why spend money twice, once due to the not knowing and then later for what you should have gotten in the first place.

Your lighting will be fine if you do it indoors. Indoors you have far better evironmental controls.

If you want to cool the tank, fans will help a lot. In a greenhouse, some use swamp coolers to drop the building temperature about 10 degrees inside.
    Humidity hear is insane in the summer months making swamp coolers useless =/
    They may work during the day but who knows.

Ok mind you this is all "theory" but I did some math here and please correct me if Im wrong.

This is the chiller I used for the math.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113768

Ok 2.63 Amps and 5.0 Amps for example. How many 150watt MH would it take to equal that much power.

150x 2 = 300/110 = 2.72 (So 2 already eat more than the lowest grade chiller)

150x4 = 600/110 = 5.4545 Amps (so 4 eat more than their next size chiller)

So a room with a bunch of halides as a prop tank would not really make much sense compared to trying to grow outside right?

You have very little control over an outdoor environment. Do you have time to place shade cloth over your green house on very bright days to avoid cooking your livestock? Do you have the time to peel it off as it gets too cool? The guys at ORA work full time to do just that, and are getting paid.

If you are a home-body and have the time to dedicate to constant monitoring and making the minor adjustments multiple times per day, then an outdoor greenhouse might be the perfect project.

You probably will not need a chiller for an indoor tank, especially with 150w bulbs. Fans are cheap, and do the job. I've never owned a chiller in almost 10 years of reefkeeping.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

You have very little control over an outdoor environment. Do you have time to place shade cloth over your green house on very bright days to avoid cooking your livestock? Do you have the time to peel it off as it gets too cool? The guys at ORA work full time to do just that, and are getting paid.

If you are a home-body and have the time to dedicate to constant monitoring and making the minor adjustments multiple times per day, then an outdoor greenhouse might be the perfect project.

You probably will not need a chiller for an indoor tank, especially with 150w bulbs. Fans are cheap, and do the job. I've never owned a chiller in almost 10 years of reefkeeping.

What type of temp swings have you seen in your tanks? Im currently getting 3 degrees in my 55g, does'nt seem to be affect anything at all (no stress in fish or corals).
    Thanks for the tips.

I keep it within 2 degrees, but in a greenhouse you've got much more heat to contend with, plus often quite cold nights. Nevada / Arizona are well-known for 30 to 40 degree changes every day to night. Where are you located?
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

I keep it within 2 degrees, but in a greenhouse you've got much more heat to contend with, plus often quite cold nights. Nevada / Arizona are well-known for 30 to 40 degree changes every day to night. Where are you located?
    South Fla, so basically have to deal with 90+ during the day, 80s at night and High humidity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last