[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Skimmer...do I need one?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Skimmer...do I need one?

Do I need a skimmer on my 26g? I've been looking all day for one that would fit in my HOB fuge. Here's my concerns. Would a hob skimmer be to much weight on the Fuge? Can I find one to fit inside of the fuge?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rabidgoose; 03-16-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Do I need a skimmer on my 26g? I've been looking all day for one that would fit in my HOB fuge. Here's my concerns. Would a hob skimmer be to much weight on the Fuge? Can I find one to fit inside of the fuge?
    if you wanted to do that you should look into just getting the aquafuge with the skimmer built in. it is like your unit just a tiny bit wider and has the skimmer and fuge all in one so you dont have to worry about an extra plug or anything or the weight.

whitetiger61 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

i use a hob skimmer on my 30 gal.. i doubt that you will find one that fits inside that fuge except a nano skimmer

Rick

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jolson10450 View Post
    if you wanted to do that you should look into just getting the aquafuge with the skimmer built in. it is like your unit just a tiny bit wider and has the skimmer and fuge all in one so you dont have to worry about an extra plug or anything or the weight.
    See the pic? I already have the one that doesn't have a skimmer in it Also the Aquafuge2pro is 25"L and my tank is 24"L. I wasn't looking for something that could be seen off the side of the tank.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

IMO/E- All small skimmers are pretty much junk. I think keeping up on your water changes is the best option.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

what jim said...

just keep up with water changes, you wont need one unless you feed excessively and have more fish than your tank can handle.

what you could do is get a HOB skimmer like a coralife superskimmer 65 (i have one, works great) and it has a pump that pumps the water up into the skimmer and then there is the return drain line, instead of putting that drain line back into the tank you could just run it into your cpr aquafuge and it will flow through that rather than using the cpr pump, it cuts out a plug so you save some power over time and you wont have 2 pumps in the tank adding heat and eye soars, you will just have the 1.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    IMO/E- All small skimmers are pretty much junk. I think keeping up on your water changes is the best option.
    Are there any small skimmers that you think are worthy?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by creefer View Post
    Are there any small skimmers that you think are worthy?
    I haven't found one yet. I've heard some people say the tunze nano skimmer is ok...but then have talked to others that said it was junk. I'm tired to spending money on small skimmers that don't work. I had a deltec hang on the back model and it was terrible.

I'm holding out hope that Bashsea will come up with one that works. It is my understanding he is working on one.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

What a load off my mind for now I'll just go skimmerless.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

I would love to see Bashsea come up with one. I have heard the same mixed results as you with the Tunze nano skimmer. I have a solana 34g and the stock skimmer is simply ok. I've been trying to find a way to modify it or just find a replacement that works....that was why I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    I haven't found one yet. I've heard some people say the tunze nano skimmer is ok...but then have talked to others that said it was junk. I'm tired to spending money on small skimmers that don't work. I had a deltec hang on the back model and it was terrible.

I'm holding out hope that Bashsea will come up with one that works. It is my understanding he is working on one.