[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Is this a good or bad bristle worm?

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

It's ok to post links to other sites. As long as you are not just spamming for them (and they meet the pg-13 guidelines) and they are relivent to the topic that you are starting or replying to.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by greg97527 View Post
    ok i pasted an excerpt from another aquarist site here and this is what they said.

It is important that you extract the entire worm when attempting to pull it from a hole. If part of the polychaete breaks off and is left in the rock, it can regenerate the sections that were removed and become an entire worm again! To prevent this from occurring, grasp the worm as close to the base as possible and gently and gradually work it out of the hole.

In the case of larger specimens that are already in the aquarium, you can also attempt to remove them manually. They are most vulnerable to being captured at night (use a flashlight to find them after the aquarium lights have been turned off) or right after the aquarium has had a heavy feeding.
    Just as we'd expect from anywhere else citing works that are original to CR, if you are reposting someone else's works or any part thereof, please give the proper credit to the author, by name, book, or a link to the original if it's on the web (just don't hotlink thier images without permission). If every site followed this rule we'd all be happy
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

what about putting him in a sump?
    :: hummer :nemo

Quote Originally Posted by hummer View Post
    what about putting him in a sump?
    You mean a refugium? I'd be afraid of him eating all my pods.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

bristle worms are great scavengars. they are blind and hunt by smell. they do not actively hunt out prey. I have them in my tanks that are HUGE and not never removed one and have not gotten any ill effect. and one that big will keep the sand nice and stirred also. they are menacing looking but are fantastic janitors. that is just my 2 cents
    fulltankshot 1 - Is this a good or bad bristle worm?

Sparky - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have few large ones myself. I have tried to nab them, but you are right they are quick. and at night they see that flash light and the dart back into there hole. They seem to like the nutrafin sinking food tablets maybe i can lure them out alittle father to grab'em! he he

reef123 - Reefkeeper Registered User

i have bristleworms in my tank so i put a trap in but they just go in, eat the bait, and crawl back out.

Larger ones can grow to the point that they'll eat anything. Steve Weast found and documented one that was around 13 feet long, and it would mow down an entire area of zoanthids overnight. You can read about it on

www.oregonreef.com

The larger ones in my tank are moved to the refugium or prop section to help deal with detritus.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3