[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Is it a Trumpet or Candy Cane?

Bookmark and Share
    EQCM2B - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Is it a Trumpet or Candy Cane?

Is there a difference between Candy Cane and Trumpet corals? I know that there are two different kinds, Caulastrea ??, and one that starts with an F that I will not even try to spell. Are they the same thing o,r if they are not, what would be the difference?

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

There are 3 common species;Caulastrea furcata,Caulastrea curvata,and Caulastrea echinulata.The most common is C.furcata,this is your typical red-striped Candy Cane although C.furcata can come as any of the other colors availiable too.C.echinulata is said to have more tightly packed polyps and greater polyp extension.The other species has a more open growth form.
    All 3 species could be sold as Trumpet corals but usually the red-striped ones sold as Candy Canes are C.furcata

Default Trumpet vs CandyCane

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi, In myobservations, and with what little research I have actually done on the matter, the differences are this:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1-Trumpets flesh grows down the skeleton, whereas Candycanes don't.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2-Trumpets flesh isdeeper variagated/ridged, whereas Candycanes are less,(though I could be wrong on this observation)and always have those telltale stripes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3-Trumpets are solid colored, whereas Candycanse are multicolored.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#These are just my personal observations, also Liveaquaria.com lists Trumpet Coral as: Caulastrea Curvata, and Candycane Coral as: Caulastrea Furcata. And here is a picture of each of mine:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Trumpet Coral, underside shot:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/kbmdale/December%2005/S4023396.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Trumpet close up full on shot:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/kbmdale/December%2005/S4023325.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And here is my CandyCane Coral, underside shot(sorry for the blurriness, but you can see there's no flesh down the stalk of the skeleton:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/kbmdale/December%2005/S4023342.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And here is a full on shot:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/kbmdale/9-17-05/S4022276.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope this helps answer your question a little better #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Happy Holidays,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Brianna#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

That is an excellent description DragnFlygrl.That is the problem with common names,they really dont apply to a particular species of coral,rather its physical charateristics.It is hard for experts/scientists to ID most corals to a species level that is why i just prefer to call them by there genus,in this case Caulastrea.For most stoney corals,you need a thourough examination of its skeleton/corallites/septa to make an accurate species ID.Do you really think online retailers do this or are even educated enough to go through this process?

No, I don't even think they care! I just kinda figured my physical description of it might help. While doing some searching (though addmittedly not much), I found that little tidbit of info on that website. I have some pics though that you might find helpful and neat, I'll start a "progression pics" thread later when I have time, so keep an eye out, you'd be amazed at how both my trumpet and candycane looked when I got them, both showing skeleton, bleached and in bad shape!

Brianna

Thanks for the help. Mine look like your candy cane.

Not a prob EQ, can we see a pic? :D

Brianna

Camera is packed in the car for the trip. I will try to get one when i get back.

Have a great trip and be safe, Merry Christmas :D

Brianna