[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Bugs???

Bookmark and Share
    jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default Bugs???

I think they might be copepods. I turned on my light this morning and there where thousands of them. They look like little termites or white fleas. Am I right? They didn't run away when I turned my lights on.

Sounds like pods to me! I have tons of them, too, and they are visible all the time, not just at night. I bet if you look closely, you'll find that you have several different kinds. Check out this page:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume.../Pods/pods.htm

Cool. They are not big enough to tell what kind they are, YET. I didn't expect these guys so soon, my tank is only a month and a half old!!!!
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

A good sign that your tank is beginning it's long journey to a mature and established reef.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

thank you. I find it odd that they stay out when the lights are on. I have read that they usually run and hide when the lights come on???

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

They're funny! I enjoy watching them. I'm still chugging along at getting my pony tank ready for my first ponies! So I've simply been growning pods, and some are getting so big now that they remind me of "tiny white mice of the sea!" Enjoy every little thing that appears as your reef matures! .....Angel :angel07:
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

I just had a thought. A couple days ago I bought a baby horseshoe crab could they be out because he keeps moveing all the sand and crushed coral around???

Just a thought.

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

they are just there...and will be there in greater numbers until they are preyed upon. The horseshoe crab has nothing to do with them being up there. They are copepods that LIKE to be on the glass They eat film alga and other microscopic goodies that are on there. The larger, gammarid isopods are often found in rocks, sand etc. and it is THEY who would be bothered by the crab.

BTW...best of luck with the horseshoe... they get large, become true bulldozers and typically need square YARDS of sand, rather than feet, for hunting and survival.

Dave
    ><((((

Yeah I figured but at $1.99 for the little guy I couldnt pass him uo. nWhen he gets to large I will donate Him to someone with a larger tank.

labman - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default just a couple things on the horse shoe

they are cute when small larger or bigger ones are known for knocking rocks over killing corals and or fish and have and getting stuck in places then causing a tank crash. also most
    die of starvation. they are cute though try to leave some meaty foods out for him from time to time tough to do with fish. congrats on your Co pods that is a sure sign of success. btw get
    moonlights I love looking in the tank at night to see what is going on almost more fun then day light.