[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Crab (good or bad) & weird other clear thing?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Question Crab (good or bad) & weird other clear thing?

Here's a molt from this little crab I haven't been about to photo until he left me this little present. Basicly just want to make sure he's a good guy. I also have a guy a little bigger that has much more black and white on this frount but he has the same body shape otherwise, hopefully id-ing this guy will also help me ID the other.
    DSCF1528 - Crab (good or bad) & weird other clear thing?DSCF1526 - Crab (good or bad) & weird other clear thing?

Here are the pictures of the clean "cup" looking thing attached to rock there is about 3 of them all very close together. This is the best I can do with a photo hope it helps. . . They kinda look to me like jelly fish but they are attached so . . ???DSCF1531 - Crab (good or bad) & weird other clear thing?DSCF1530 - Crab (good or bad) & weird other clear thing?DSCF1529 - Crab (good or bad) & weird other clear thing?

Thanks for your help!
    Heidi

Skyhigh - Reefkeeper

First Name
    Bryan
    Awards Photo of the Month - June 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Referral Award Photo of the Month

I would say bad crab!!!!!

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Okay, thank you. So how can I tell are there certain things on this crab that make him noticeable bad? I just wonder because I at least 2 of these similar body w/ the hairy back legs.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

+1 on Bad Crab. No clue on the others.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

i usually just google search "bad hitchhiking crabs in saltwater aquariums" and see if i can find a good site where the photo looks like what i have and go from there. it definitely looks bad, most crabs that are lacking color (usually just a bland brown) with furry legs seem to be bad with a few exceptions.

i would get rid of him or put him in your fuge if you have one.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Xanthid Crab. Not reef safe. When small not so much, mostly a detritus eater but as they grow they get bolder and more aggressive.
    I had one that came in on a frag of zoa's. Scared the heck outta me
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member

Pretty much all hairy crabs are bad. If I'm unsure and find one, I dump it in the sump. Another good tip is to look at the claws...black tips on the claes are bad.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Thanks for all your responses, you guys are great. I do not have a sump, so, hmm, may be just taking a trip down the ol' porcelain throne. Thanks for the id hints, the other crab though more fancy (lots of black and white stripes) also has hairy back legs and black claw tips so I assume he is a bad boy too.
    I left that little paper out so I could show the kids when they got home from school. That thing started to stink so bad I threw it away. I am now thinking that was not a molt but a dead crab, ewww. I found a white exoskeleton today around the same place as I found the crab. Think I fixed this problem w/o knowing it (if you know what I mean.)
    Maybe when I catch the black one someone will want it in there sump??

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

oh btw the clear thing is some species of "ascidian" aka a Sea squirt. Just a harmless hitchhiker (pretty cool one I might add)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last