[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Friend or Foe?

Bookmark and Share
    Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Friend or Foe?

I found an unidentified worm crawling around my tank tonight which I have never seen before. I removed it out of fear of the unknown, still in a cup. It is about 1.25" long, 1/8" wide, pretty flat body, light grey, segmented and can swim. It has "hairs" on the edge of its body that wave back in further to swim. Pretty darn quick too. I know its not a bristle worm but I can try again tomorrow if needed. The pics I took are pretty poor. Any ideas on what it is?

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

a pic might help

The pics I took last night are pretty poor. You can tell it is a worm but that is about it. This morning it had pretty much dissolved in the cup of saltwater. I guess I might never know. It kind of freaked me out when it started zipping around the tank.

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

well look at the bright side it isn't in your tank any more....

could it be a fire worm? ughhh i can not find a pic. i always say when in doubt pull it out.lol

I have been going some web searching in hopes of identifing the worm but I really haven't come with anything. It was similiar to a bristleworm in body style but the hairs on the side were a single row and much more sparse also the color was off. The other thing was that swam pretty well. I have never heard of a bristle or a fire worm swimming. I agree with your motto of "When in doubt, pull it out."

dsfdbutterfly - Reefkeeper Registered User

Try searching under ribbon worms and see what you come up with. Sounds like something that I read with that description. Not sure if that is what it is for you though. Just another avenue to look at.

Angie
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.