[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

green algae

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Can you please list the critters in the tank. This will help with determining the feeding schedule.

chrisl1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

cerinth snails are great for stirring the sand

I have 3 small damsels and 9 snails. Has anyone tried this Algone product? It claims to clear up green water. I have reduced the lighting time to 8 hours and have also not fed the tank for 3 days. This stuff is growing so fast I cant keep up with it. The water is so murky I cant even see the fish.

The problem with something like "algone" is sometimes these "bandaids" can recycle your tank. Honestly you need a bunch of snails to control this. How big is this tank? 9 snails would be ok for a 10 gallon tank but barely. If your water is green you need get your skimmer working properly, maybe the skimmer is not working to it's full capability. What are you using on this tank? Pumps, skimmer etc??

ReefNeck - Reefkeeper Registered User

I used Algone recently on a friends recommendation to fight Red Slime (Cyanobacteria) and it did absolutely nothing for me. He claimed it worked for him. I'm still fighting Cyano with no phosphates, Feeding every other day, Skimming wet and still can't kill it. Chemicals are not the answer, Only a temporary solution.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

I agree, the chemical cocktail bandaids can do far more harm then good. If you do not have any coral in your tank, then I'd consider cutting the photoperiod almost to 0 for a couple weeks, increase the clean up crew and then slowly bring your photoperiod back up, increasing it an hour every week or two to stabilize the system.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

the tank is a 65 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. The protein skimmer came with the tank so I am not sure of the brand. It is powered by a Rio1100. I also have two power heads in the tank for movement. The tank has 44 pounds of live rock and a bed of crushed coral. Anything I left out? Thanks for the help on this one. It is driving me crazy.

can you take a photo of the skimmer? How much skimmate daily does it extract?

You know I have the same algae in my tank. It's just growing on the glass. I have quite a few snail in my nano and they can't get it off the glass. I've had to resort to utilizing a plastic putty knife to scrape it off the glass and suck it out when I do a water change. It just keeps coming back in force. The only difference that I've had with my tank is I moved it from one side of the room to the other. I initially thought it was because there was some sun hitting it but I remedied that quickly. I've watched the snails as they are eating off the glass and they aren't even coming close to making a difference on it. They for some reason can't bite deep enough to get it off. I'm not sure what to do and I've tried the changing my light timing. Didn't make a difference. And with my anemone and clam in the tank I cant just turn the lighting off for a day or so.
    95g Cracked (Hopefully fixable some day)
    10g Guppy tank
    2.5g tank with Indian Dwarf Puffers
    24g Aquapod Reef tank (Probably going to be sold)
    55g Reef :D

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

I'm of the firm belief that some algae growth on the glass is going to happen no matter what we try to do anytime the tank is out of balance even the smallest amount nutrients vs. uptake = algae growth. Trying to control what kind of algae is the real trick, be it the green film, diatoms, hair algae, coraline (yes it's actually an algae), all the way to the dreaded cyanobacteria.

In short that's what mag floats were invented for.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last