[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Green gunk

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    lngliv3 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tim

Default Green gunk

Well this has popped up in my tank recently . I have been working 2nd shift and my wife has been feeding the tank while I am at work . I use RO water feed once daily ... The bulbs ave been replaced last month . How do I get rid of it!!!!please help thanks !!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Well that's some serious alge growth ya got there. First you need to check your No3 ,Po4 and mag levels. These will be indicators of how poorly your water quality has changed. Then you need to do a water change ! Let us know what your levels are so we can help you better. Sounds like your wife has been feeding everything very heavily.

First Name
    Tim

That's what I thought ,,,, over feeding

First Name
    Tim

Ph 8.0
    Nh3/nh4+ 0
    No2 0
    No3 5.0
    I plan on doing a water change this weekend!!!!!

First Name
    Tim

My lfs doesn't check po4 or mag . I don't have test kits for that never had a issue till now ! I know my no3 is a lil high .looking at getting a phosphate rector . Also was wondering my one circ pump died impeller cracked I figured with my mag 9.5 and head loss I'm around 700+ gph turnover plus I have a rio 600 moving water in the tank also....

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by lngliv3 View Post
    My lfs doesn't check po4 or mag . I don't have test kits for that never had a issue till now ! I know my no3 is a lil high .looking at getting a phosphate rector . Also was wondering my one circ pump died impeller cracked I figured with my mag 9.5 and head loss I'm around 700+ gph turnover plus I have a rio 600 moving water in the tank also....
    Might want to get your own test kits. I personally find it hard to believe your No3 is at 5ppm with that much algae. Your Po4 or phosphates must be off the charts. It will take more then a water change to correct the issues you have going in there. I would start with a water change and get some GFO going ASAP.. Accurate testing is very important,I am assuming your LFS needs new or better test kits if that is results they gave you. Good luck.

First Name
    Tim

Yep that's what my no3 I checked it again its 5.0!! I did get a po4 test kit today and its at 1.0 maybe 2.0 !!!

First Name
    Tim

I have my own test kits they are less than a year old! I built a DIY filter chamber today to hold two 10 oz units of chemi-pure or anything else I want to use. It will be fed using a maxijet 1200 utility pump. The water will be pumped out from the first chamber (from the overflow box) into the bottom of my DIY filter the water will be pushed through the filter bags then exit through the top then discharge to the main chamber or return pump chamber!!!

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by lngliv3 View Post
    Yep that's what my no3 I checked it again its 5.0!! I did get a po4 test kit today and its at 1.0 maybe 2.0 !!!
    Ok ?? But that is pretty hi Po4 ,should be in the .02 to .04 range. GFO should help bring that down pretty well.

First Name
    Tim

O boy no one has gfo in the Toledo oh area. Mail order and now I will have to wait...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last