[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Help, bad algae overtaking my tank

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default Help, bad algae overtaking my tank

I am getting this nasty algae in the past few weeks and its overtaking my corals. Any idea what this is and how to get rid of it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images  

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

It's a little hard to make out from that angle, is that just a slime across things or does it appear to be a hair algae? From the back side a lot of filamentous algaes (hair algaes) looks just like a slime, but obviously different when viewed from the other side.

Also, can you give us your tank parameters as well? Salinity, phosphate, nitrate, ammonia, etc?

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

I agree, a better photo will help. AND.......if it is hair algae...I may have found a solution!
    I am ordering chitons and turbograzers - apparently these are the bomb in devouring gha!

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

order the high capacity GFO from Bulk Reef supply. Took out a nasty outbreak in my 270 in a little under 3 days. If you need something to run in it I have an extra phosban reactor you can use.
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

You definately need to roll with some GFO. That sure looks like some bubbles in the mat of algae, I doubt hair algae. But the root of the problem is nutrients. GFO and water changes will go a long way to helping.

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

I will give you the phosban reactor if that helps.
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

CR Member

Although I don't have ann id, algae almost always thrives in poor quality water (I know of only one type that loves high water quality and its red turf). What are you using for water changes and how often are you doing them?

CR Member

i haven't done a water change in a while, but i am going to plan on one this upcoming weekend. there is bubbles in there, is acts like a carpet of algae and my lawnmower blenny loves the stuff, but it has taken a few of my smaller corals as a sacrifice.

so GFO? gonna see if i can grab some at my LFS. thanks for the help.

CR Member

There's the problem! Not doing water changes or doing water changes with tap water lead to excess nutrients which feed the algae. It will take several water changes of at least 20% for several weeks to see a reduction in the algae.

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Yea, you need to do water changes. I don't do them weekly like some but I still shoot for monthly. Sometimes if I'm really time-bitten, I'll wait until a see a nitrate buildup or something else missing that I can't dose, but I still try to do monthlys.

Also, do you run a skimmer? That would pull alot of the DOC out of the water that could be feeding this. If you are running one, how often is it filling a cup and is it a nice thick skimmate?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last