[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Help with ID *pic*

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default Help with ID *pic*

It has a stony covering you can see, with holes that feather dusters come out of. I found it at a place a friend recommended and for 40$ I couldnt resist. It had blue, green, off grey ,and different color feather dusters that come out of the holes.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

a3d2ced8 - Help with ID *pic*

I think it's a rock with Christmas Tree worms. I don't know much about the care of it though. I had a rock with a bunch that I got from a guy when I bought his live rock when we was taking his tank down. It didn't last long. I don't know exactly the care of it though. I think that they're worms that live in porites, but I don't really know.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

dsfdbutterfly - Reefkeeper Registered User

It's a christmas tree rock. I wanted one but they told me they were hard to keep. It doesn't like direct light from MH if that's your set up. The feathers need the sponge on the rock to survive I was told. They are absolutely beautiful though. Do some research on it so that it gets the best care.

The one I was looking at had quite a few dusters on it. Some red some pink and it even had one that looked like the stuff you decorate a christmas tree with (the shiny garland). You got a good price though. Here in AZ it sells for 1.99 an inch.
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Porites sp.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

yep, its a christmas tree rock. they require basicly the same care as your feather dusters. from the pick it looks like you got one with a lot of worms with different colored crowns. i would pay $40 for it.

Chistmas tree worms(Spirobranchus giganteus) are the commensal critters with this encrusting Porites sp.(my guess is Porites lobata).It is a stoney coral, intense light is preffered.

Porites
    The Porites Coral are available in yellow, tan, green, brown, cream colors. Some have commensal Christmas Tree Worms. One of the most hardy of sps corals and relatively fast growing. Porites REQUIRE bright light to color up. A great SPS beginner coral, the Porites species is generally peaceful toward other tank mates. The Porites coral is one of the more peaceful of the SPS or Small Polyp Stony Corals. This attractive coral is found in many shapes and colors. The yellow branch being the most popular. Extends polyps and has a very fuzzy appearance. Can be placed closer to other corals providing they are equally peaceful. Requires high light and strong water movement. As with all SPS corals, calcium levels will need to be maintained to encourage growth and health of coral.

__________________________________________________ _______________

So Light + Flow sounds easy enough.

They seem very happy where their at, always looking fuzzy meaning polyps are out.

Thats true for the captive raised branching species or your hitchiker encrusting species.However,this is a wild coral that has a poor survival record in captivity.
    If the coral dies,the worms will too.Good luck,keep us posted on how it does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last