[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Help identify please

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    EQCM2B - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Help identify please

I setup my tank last saturday (15th ofOctober) with @ 45lbs dead rock, 40lbs of live sand from LFS, tap water using aqua safe to kill the chlorine, Instant Ocean salt. I haveno fish or inverts in tank. I rinsed the dead rock off with my pressure washer before I put it in the tank. My perametersare as follows:
    Last Saturday ph-8.2, sg-.023, ammonia-.50, nitrite-0, nitrate-0
    Last night ph-8.0,sg-.026, ammonia-.50, nitrite-.50, nitrate-.50

Here is my question. Does anyone know what the white stuff on my rocks is? I would have posted pics but I guess the computer is more intelligent than me at the moment. Whatever it is it looks sort of like an oyster shell only that it is sporatic on my rock and averages about the size of a dime only it is not circular.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think I figured out how to post a pic.. Here is the best I can get with my camera.

2ka78f3ae895 - Help identify please

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

You say dead rock.... though no t prefferred it will often work and be very much alive in 6 months or so... But do you kow the origin of the rock? Any name attached to it from whereever yo got it from?
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Sorry, no idea where from or what kind of rock. It was at the LFS for $1.99 a pound. Some of the holes were full of some kind of sand/mud that were covered over by caps of a velvety green covering. I tried to pressure wash all of the loose stuff off, that is how I found out about the sand covered holes. Here are some more pics now that my camera is back up. I hope this helps. Someone else mentioned that it might be a sponge growth but the only thing that is alive is the sand. Is this possible/ probable?

2kb90b31a95a - Help identify please

2k355e01ca2b - Help identify please

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

it looks like types of sponges or tunicates, you should be fine, just keep an eye on the parameters of the tank. good luck
    fulltankshot 1 - Help identify please

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Agreed... if more of a smoother "stone"(pic looks like it may be a softer/spongy material) couls also be bleached coralline algae. Keep an eye on the water quality.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by EQCM2B
    Sorry, no idea where from or what kind of rock. It was at the LFS for $1.99 a pound. Some of the holes were full of some kind of sand/mud that were covered over by caps of a velvety green covering. I tried to pressure wash all of the loose stuff off, that is how I found out about the sand covered holes. Here are some more pics now that my camera is back up. I hope this helps. Someone else mentioned that it might be a sponge growth but the only thing that is alive is the sand. Is this possible/ probable?
    2kb90b31a95a - Help identify please2k355e01ca2b - Help identify please
    Was it sold dry?Did you actually use a pressure washer(freshwater) on it?
    I wouldn't imagine you having that much sponge growth in 2 weeks w/dry rock.

Yes rock was sold dry and I did use a pressure washer (freshwater) to clean it with. It has only been one week. That is why I thought that it might be a bad thing because very little "GOOD" happens quickly. I appreciate all of your help.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Is this stuff that appeared on your rocks Hard, Soft, Spongy or rubbery feeling? Sometimes just looking isn't enough. Don't be afraird that you'll hurt it, or that it could hurt you. You're safe there! It may help in identifying it so that you know whether to scrub it off, or leave it on there. Sponges are good things. So give it a good lookover before you decide what to do with it.
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

UPDATE!!!
    This stuff is slimey. It has the consitency of egg drop soup when I rubbed it off of the rock and removed some of it from the tank. Does this help anyone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last