[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Help needed with Hitchhiker ID please.

Bookmark and Share
    ReefNeck - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default Help needed with Hitchhiker ID please.

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can someone Please ID this hitchhiker that came in on my LiveRock? Also would like an ID on the Pink Coral if possible but more concerned with the white Anenome. Even the tips are white. Thanks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2kdd77f48f60.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2kdd77f48f60.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

The pink coral looks like a common colt coral, the anenome is a bit out of focus... is is posible to get a better shot? You say he hitchhiked into your tank, that's not very common for them, nor to survive... pretty cool.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yea, He Hitchhiked in on the exact spot you see him sitting. on that piece of Liverock.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have tried at least 8-10 shots and can't get anything better than that pic. The others are worse. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Welcome to Captive Reefing! I agree with Dakar on the colt, but where did you get the live rock? Was it rock you ordered and had shipped in, or bought personally from an LFS? If the anemone hitchhiked in right where you see him on the rock, neither you or the salesperson noticed him there? The first thing I'd say to you is, FEED HIM! They love Brine Shrimp. You have to buy it from you fish store if they carry frozen foods, or go to another LFS store. Brine shrimp is very digestable for an Anemone. Never feed him a whole fish as they cannot digest them in captivity. Oh, and don't forget to buy a baster. That's a great way to feed them without messing up the tank. Thaw the brine shrimp in some of your tank water & when it's room temperature (don't heat it!), fill the baster with your brine shrimp & water. You shouldn't need much to feed him, and it may take some time for him to figure out the whole feeding game. Cyclopeeze, also bought frozen can be fed as well. Just make sure you shut you skimmer off for a while. Some people do, and some reefers have anemones that prefer them and like to eat your beautiful salt water fish. This anemone looks to small to handle or likely to kill any of your fish. Is your tank completely cycled? Did you or the salesperson see him on the rock since he's obviously got his foot down, and is well anchored to the rock. How long have had the live rock? As far as the anemone goes, I've never seen one quite like that with the exception of a sebae anemone that has been bleached. If it is a sebae, his actual color should be a muddy pink. Do his tips have any coloring to them? It sure is "perfect" and looks very healthy. Are you sure it's alive? I don't mean anything negative by this, but it almost looks like one of those fake anemones that you can purchase for your fish that needs a host.

I have to say, you got awfully lucky if it hitchhiked, unless it's some strange one that's going to nip your fingers off when you feed it! not to mention if the salesperson saw them, the price of the rock would possibly have gone up dramatically. Around our neck of the woods in WI, you would have had to pay $30+ for both species! Well, good luck. If you have yourself a live one their, there's many of us here who will give you great advice. ....Angel
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Thanks Reef Angel....

Yes, It Hitchiked in without being noticed. I went to my LFS (Closest but no great one) and asked for a 5LB Live Rock. While the sales guy got it from the tank and bagged it My wife and I looked at fish. (Even though I will not buy fish from this LFS we like to look). When I placed the Live Rock into my Reef tank I noticed the Anenome on the bottom so I turned it over. I called the LFS and the guy said if there is one on there I got a freebie because he didn't notice it. The Coral I bought from another LFS that had no ID on it. It was $30. Both are verymuch alive and not falsies. The Anenome Closes up at night when the light is off and opens again when lights are on so it must be real. I Already have some Frozen Brine and a Baster.....Going to try and feed it today. Thanks for the in depth response.

Keri