[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

ID on a nudi?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

Default ID on a nudi?

I know the pics arent great but can anyone say they have seen this nudi/something else? Dangerous or better yet, what does it eat? I found 2 hitchhikers and would like to keep them but want to know what they are.

Also found 2 pistol shrimp, one loaded with eggs. Pros or Cons to having them in your tank?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

CR Member

Not a nudi - that's a flatworm. Better safe than sorry, They can eat corals and snails - each type has a different diet.

Are you sure they're pistols and not mantis? It would be unusual to see pistols out in the open where you can see eggs.

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Looks like a flatworm to me, but given the pictures I'm thinking it'd be scientific name blurryisis bluricosis ;-)

Any pic of the shrimp? I'm thinking what Weimers said above, I don't remember seeing pistols out in the open with eggs...

First Name
    chris

We picked them off some live rock we got yesterday and they are in a tupperware. I searched and searched for a variety of pistols that look like these but they are kind of bland not red or anything. The most similar one both times came from british sites so i did save that pic. I am as certain as i can be that they are pistols. One big claw and they dont fold under like a mantis or they dont have the things (flaps/wing looking things) on the sides like a mantis.

So dump the worms huh. That is what i was thinking they were too after looking at tons of pics on nudi pics .com i think it was.

My camera is theeee worst at close up pics. I can never seem to get it to focus.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

First Name
    chris

double post/ I would say the pic above is exactly what i have. Oh and they are only just a bit over an inch long. The eggs are blue if that means anything to anybody.
    Last edited by cg5071; 08-14-2010 at 06:55 PM.

First Name
    Josh

Looks a lot like a alpheus parvirostris to me. Aka Green Banded Pistol Shrimp.
    17284bab4f06111cc - ID on a nudi?

First Name
    chris

Cool, thanks. I had already decided on keeping them to see if i can get the eggs to hatch. So they wont be going in my main tank for awhile, if ever. I have a little 3g set up and a bubbler I can use.

First Name
    Josh

Yea, it seems there's another species that looks identical to them, except one has 2 spots on the body and one has 4 spots. One is seen but it hasn't been studied so there's no real data on it, the one I mentioned above has been studied quite a bit and, from what I can find, seems to be somewhat reef safe. I only saw one report of it not being reef safe but that was from a forum so who knows how valid it is.

First Name
    chris

I saw that when I ran a search. It turns out they dont co-habitate with gobys but they live in pairs, explaining why i found 2. LOL the sexing part is over then I will see what else i can find out tomorrow. Thanks again

I still have the flatworms in their dish too. Just for now but they jumped right on a piece of freeze dried shrimp i threw in there. I know you cant tell from my pics but they are pretty cool looking. Like a golden brown pancake and lighter spots where the bubbles would be.

Either fortunately or not, the rest of the critters died in the rock bin. I was going to collect alot of the little starfish but didnt get to it. I think it must have been an ammonia spike or something because it started to smell and alot of amphiopods floated to the top. There were hundreds of the mini brittles in there too.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Those shrimp are pretty cool!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last