[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

id needed plz

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    RHAPALA - Reefkeeper Registered User
    NORTH EAST PA. YES MY TOWN IS REALLY CALLED NORTH EAST

Default id needed plz

hey all i just got2 new items in my tank i i know i put there and one item i dident put in short story around the 2 items is this a guy was getting out of the hobby and had just these 2 left and so gave them to my wife

one i know is some sort of blue starfish and the other i'm not really sure on i have tried to look them up in my 2 books i have but no luck and now on the 3rd item i think was a stowaway in some cheato i got from the lfs

Those blue starfish usually do not last very long in captivity its a real shame from what I heard.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

the first is a linkia star and yes they do not fair well in captivity, the 2nd is aptasia GET THAT OUT they are a pest, and the last is an anenome and the name slips me. seriously I would take the star back he should of warned you when he sold it to you
    fulltankshot 1 - id needed plz

RWalston - Reefkeeper CR Member

The blue linkia will do well if they are slowly acclimated. Very Very slowly. The problem is they are dieing before they even get to your tank because they are not taken care of by vendors.

the star and the anenome were both given to me for free and as for acclimating them i did a slow drip on them for almost 3 hours before adding them to the tank it was a gtts rate of maybe 30 gtts a min
    i has them in the tank in their bags for a bout 1 hour to get the water to the tank temp then i did the dripping.......now that i know its a blue linkia i can do a search on how to feed him/it i just need to know about the anenome now and will clown host it? and being that small do i need to spot feed it? thats somthing i have not yet done do you just set the food on it next to the mouth?
    sorry gtts means drops in the medical field

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

That anemone will need some good light. What do you have??? I forget.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

i was told that what i have for right now will do i just have 1 10.000 k bulb i think 40 watts next month i get my good lights

but whats the name of it hehehe

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I cant think of it right now when I get home I will get it if no one chimes in with the I.D.
    fulltankshot 1 - id needed plz

CR Member

That is a Flower Anemone...I have one and no your clown will not host in it. I have crabs and shrimps that crawl across it and it doesn't bother them. It must have a nasty sting, though because when the serpent reaches across the "petals" you can almost hear him holler OUCH! But the serpent hasn't gotten grabbed by the anemone either. I just spot feed it with a turkey baster and he gets the same meaty foods that my fish eat....frozen mysis shrimp, scallop. It closes up nicely swallows it's dinner and opens back out again. If it isn't where it wants to be in the tank it rolls up into a ball and literally bounces to where it wants to be. It's a GOOD thing to have in the tank! Enjoy it!

As for the Aiptasia.....believe it or not (Go ahead, Greg argue with me LOL) There ARE some aiptasia that don't spread and live gracefully in the tank. I can't remember the name of the one you have there (I have one too and it's been there for months and NOT spread.) Don't panic about that particular one just watch it. It does have a big sting so don't put corals near it. It is an anemone but it eats really tiny things that are floating around naturally. My longnose butterfly loves to "bonk" it just for grins. Mine is only about an inch in diameter when completely open and it doesn't disappear into the rock when disturbed.

OK you all can argue with me but I researched these aiptasia and they aren't the virulent kind that spread like wildfire.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last