[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Identification help needed, Pic included

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    harmanrk - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Identification help needed, Pic included

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl#Below are some pictures of some items that hitched a ride into my tank on various pieces of live rock. I would appreciate any help anyone can provide at identifying them.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl#Item 1: Bright Yellow, stalks about 1cm tall, Six Polyps? over a 1.5 by 1 inch area, bases are not touching. I have seen these grab Misid Shrimp, and Flake at feeding time, and pull it into the stalk.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG height=256 src="http://home.comcast.net/~rharman8677/photos/Yellow.JPG" width=384 align=center#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl#Item 2: Brownish Grey, 1.5cm tall, and across, I have also seen this grab shrimpand flake at feeding time.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG height=256 src="http://home.comcast.net/~rharman8677/photos/Cave.JPG" width=384 align=center#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl#Item 3: Brown, .5 to 1cm across, heigth varies throughout the day. Several examples of diffrent sizes. I have never seen these grab food out of the water column.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG height=256 src="http://home.comcast.net/~rharman8677/photos/Front.JPG" width=384 align=center#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl#Item 4: Sorry for the poor picture on this one (AutoFocus kept wanting to jump to the rock behind). Brown object, .5 cm tall, less than that around. Almost cylindrical, with olny a slight lip at the face. Face is dark brown, with a lighter dot in the middle.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV align=left#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG height=256 src="http://home.comcast.net/~rharman8677/photos/Unknown.JPG" width=384 align=center#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl#Thank you for any information#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl#Robert#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

#1 Yellow polyp... not too bad if kept under control.
    #2 aptasia(aka ape coral)... not too friendly, grows quickly, and considered a pest by most.
    #3 possible mojano anemone... cousin to the aptasia
    #4 appears to be a lone closed polyp... to ID from the closed pic would be pretty tough.

In conclusion, #2 and #3 are the only ones I'ld consider removing asap.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

If you want to see the yellow polyps (pci #1) really grow and multiply, spot feed them directly a bit every 4-5 days or so. They are interesting to watch, but under ideal conditions they will multiply and spread rather quickly. I really like them, one of my favorites for some reason or another, but we have a few colonies of well over 100 polyps and several others with <50 scattered around the tank.

Wait out the polyp in #4 to get a pic when it's open. Doesn't look like anything that needs to be removed though.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To remove Items 2 and 3,what process would you suggest? Are we talking pure mechanical scraping. Is there any concern about them releasing any toxins into the tank as I scrape them off?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#FOr Item 4, if it is a closed polyp, I would not think it would open under 30Watts of lighting. Maybe after I upgrade later this month.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Robert#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

First Name
    Dave

#4 just give it some time a coule days to weeks sometimes.

As for the Aptasia, there are several methods to get rid of it... scraping is not a good one, you will likely not get it all and any pieces that escape will grow into even more, part of the reason they are considered pests.

There are several commercial remedies and some simple remedies, many are posted around here, do a search on aptasia.
    Here is a recent one;
    http://www.captivereefing.com/viewtopic.php?t=978
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#
    Quote Originally Posted by dakar
    #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Wait out the polyp in #4 to get a pic when it's open. Doesn't look like anything that needs to be removed though.
    #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#The picuture shows number 4 as it always looks. I think it may need more than the 30 Watts I have over the tank now to convence him to open up. I was not expecting this type of stuff yet, and am just using an old light I had around. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Robert#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

your first pic is a yellow polyp, they are good to have in a tank and grow very well spot feed it cyclopeeze and they will grow and spread rapidly. Ihave to trim mine back quite often but they are nice. the other pics are of aptaisia and mojano. these are very bad in a tank they grow like weeds and spread quickly and they actually pack quite a punch with their tentecles youwill want to get rid of these quickly they get out of hand fast. you have several methods to use 1 get a syringe and get some water and vinegar and boil it and inject them with this. 2. you can buy "Joes Juice" this is made specifically for aptaisia and mojano. same method just inject them. you want to watch this and do it in small shifts use it too much in one sitting and it will raise your PH. 3.you can use peppermint shrimp also. these are hit and miss if the tank is well fed the peppermint shrimp will eat the other food first. but if they are eating the aptaisa they work well. 4. a copperband butterfly works well also but same scenerio as the peppermint shrimp also ifyou have any feather dusters or tube worms the copper will eat those as well. Good luck
    fulltankshot 1 - Identification help needed, Pic included

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have a couple of colonies of polyps as well as encrusting gorgonian and green nepthia under a 20 watt and although growth is very slow, there is always open polyps... under that 30, give it time.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used the lime paste method last night, and covered a few, of the bad guys. Can anyone tell me how long I should leave it on them before removing it? I am going to treat the tank slowly, doing a diffrent area every few days, so as to give the system time to react to any changes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One of then I covered last night, looks to have had several of its 'arms' burned off. I dont think I got him good enough to kill him, but the paste fell off sometime overnight under its own weight. It is on a vertical surface.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Robert#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

First Name
    Dave

Dope him up again...hee hee That's exactly what it's doing is burning him up, the PH of the paste is rediculously high 25+???? So it really roasts them good. Just be careful with the application so as not to drop any on something you wanted to keep.

The paste can be left alone after application, it may harden up a bit but it will disolve into the water column as beneficial calcium for the system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last