[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Need help with algae ID

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Default Need help with algae ID

I have a newly set up tank, approximately 5 weeks old. I noted after seeing some green algae that I did not have DI water, only RO. I have just (last night) installed the DI cartridge and am making water for tomorrow's water change.

I'm having a hard time with the ID. Don't know if it's GHA or Bryopsis. I hope GHA.

Here are close ups. Picture quality is not goot. I have a sh*&&% point-n-shoot.

Name:  Algae 112010-1.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  Algae 112010-2.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  81.7 KB

Thanks for looking and helping with the ID.

BK's Reef - Reefkeeper CR Member

green hair
    "reefing sure takes up your money...but it is the best money ive ever spent!"

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/marine-fish/bks-90-fowlr-8632/
    ^^^90 Fowlr thread

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BK's Reef View Post
    green hair
    Thanks. Now all I need is inhabitants to eat it.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by creefer View Post
    Thanks. Now all I need is inhabitants to eat it.
    Chemipure Elite-Purigen, both absorb excess nutrients. It appears you have nothing in your tank. If this is the case you can also go-lights out, keep your lights off until your tank is done cycling. Your going to starve it out this way by taking away it's food source, light and excess nutrients. Also recommended is a 25% weekly water changes while cycling.

Sent from my iPhone while chasing Forest Gump!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Chemipure Elite-Purigen, both absorb excess nutrients. It appears you have nothing in your tank. If this is the case you can also go-lights out, keep your lights off until your tank is done cycling. Your going to starve it out this way by taking away it's food source, light and excess nutrients. Also recommended is a 25% weekly water changes while cycling.

Thanks. I can't run completely lights out. I do have a ricordea in there as well as a few no name zoas. Got both for $5 / EA.

I do run purigen and chemi-pure elite. Just started that the other day. Tomorrow is WC day....30%.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sweet on the price most peps here know what I went through with the dreaded HA-I almost gave up! But I did a lot of research, listened to a lot of folks here and I finally got a grip on it.
    You still could cut down on the amount of time your lights are on, to 5-6hrs a day. Pick off as much of the algae as you can before each WC-don't want the stuff floating around
    good luck and remember, with HA save some to cover the bald spots your gonna get from pulling your hair out

p.s. I just got my first ric about 3-4 weeks ago. Are they cool or what!

There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Looks like you have a newer tank. Here is one idea if you can move the inhabitants to one corner, then cover the tank so that light doesn't hit the rock. I clean out my pumps about every month. Some algae loves strong flow, others hate it. It looks like the algae may be growing in a dead low flow spot. I've cured some just by adding a powerhead. Are you feeding the tank a biological supplement?

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

@ Miz....thanks. doing a WC today and plan on pulling out as much as possible. And yes...rics are super super cool.

@ Nate...I'll take that into consideration.Been thinking ab out doing something like what you suggest. I have not fed the tank any supplemental biological products. I have considered starting MB7 but want to do more reading before I jump in on that and also want the algae taken care. Since adding the purigen, chaeto, and chemi-pure elite, the water has drastically improved. It's crystal clear. Params are pretty good too but 0 phosphate leads me to believe that the algae is consuming it. As mentioned in the OP, I think part of this is attributable to the water used to start the tank and the top off water used in the last 5 weeks. It was not totally pure. I'm hoping that the newly installed DI and the resulting 0 TDS will help as well.

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Do you feed the ricordea? Sounds like you may be ready to start with a small cleanup crew.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by nate_newton View Post
    Do you feed the ricordea? Sounds like you may be ready to start with a small cleanup crew.
    I do feed the ricordea...about 3 times per week. I have a pretty decent crew but they seem un-interested in the algae.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last