[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

NEW LIFE FORM IN MY TANK?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    CR Member
    Originally from Philly we moved to South Jersey a few years ago

Default NEW LIFE FORM IN MY TANK?

Okay, so I am new at this dont laugh. Can coral grow in a tank if no other coral matter exists in a tank? This week little white fluffy things emerged all ofer my tank. At first glance it appears to be a fungus or algae. However, a closer look shows a tubular organism with a slight crown, surrounded by fuzz. I am wondering if this is an emergence of coral or some other life form. I once over fed my freshwater fish, and the food became a white fuzzy fungus, but this is so different, and the fish have been underfed this week. I really cant get a picure of it. Can anyone help me figure this out?

TJDeMars - Reefkeeper Registered User

sounds to me like a tube worm. I have 100's of them in my tank, they just keep popping out of the rocks. how long has the tank been going?

CR Member

I guess its been 7-8 months. I only have one tube worm, one damsel, one clown, one goby, one puffer, one starfish, one condy anemone and a few pounds of live rock. Tube worm is what it looked like to me, but what do I know? Do tube worms release "reproductive sprores" into the water? Because if so then that is most likely what it is. They mostly settled on the bottom of the tank, but theres a bunch on the glass, scattered all over the place. I wasnt sure if I should remove them or let them grow.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

I agree with tube worms. If you move something near them and they disapear that is what they are.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

CR Member

well the crown like thing that i mentioned is very faint, barely visible. They aren't even an inch in length. What is that type of anemone that grows freely on live rock, considered to be a pest?????? It sorta resembles that, only the fuzz makes it look like a tube worm suicide!

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Without a pic it's hard to guess, but sounds more like what we sometimes call pineapple or q-tip sponges, they would be quite common in a newer tank, they'll grow all over the place. They'll disappear with time and are compeltely harmless, actually helpful as the too will pull nutirents from the water column.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

CR Member

ill try to get a picture tonight. It is so hard. I suck at tank pics. So I guess it isnt really possible for coral to form on its own huh?

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Actually you'd be amazed at some of the animals that magically appear (hitched a ride in on live rock and such). But yes, it is actually possible, all it really takes is a few viable cells, the right conditions, and time.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

CR Member

Thats cool. I really was thinking that it is a type of soft coral, or tube worm. But if it were a tube worm, I cant see it having such a tiny, and faint crown. Although, things have to start somewhere right? Thanks for the info.......its been great so far.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

if I were to make a guess I would say its a pineapple sponge or q tip sponge. do a search on them and see if that is the little buggar growing
    fulltankshot 1 - NEW LIFE FORM IN MY TANK?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last