[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

OK beyond my knowledge

Bookmark and Share
    Dreamer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

Default OK beyond my knowledge

Hi everyone I am hoping someone can help me. I have the deep maroon stuff growing all over my rocks and it hard tooth brush won't scrub it off.

I have seeded the tank with coralline algae from my old tanks. and I seeded heavily but i don't remember anything like this. As I went down from a 150 to a 57 That said I do have the pink coralline algae. This stuff I am unsure I covered the tank for three day and left lighting off. Today when I uncovered it it looks the same now I have very little green algae a couple of tuffs of hair algae. But hardly noticeable. You can barely can scrape with your fingernail but slippery as well. so any help would be appreciated

So here is a picture
    attachmentphp?attachmentid2664&ampstc1&ampd1304989647 - OK beyond my knowledge

Any help would be great it might be a type of Coralline i have not seen before. but the slickness of it makes me believe it might be something other than that.

Be Safe
    MArk
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Coraline comes in all colors-I've had the dark red such as yours also.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Mark

OK Great as I have not seen this color before and it growth rate is very fast, This tank is shy of three months old. So I will continue then I guess. I do recall hearing this before but had not experience it so was doubtful of my own conclusion.

Thank you for sharing
    MArk

CR Member

Yeah, I've got pink, dark red, and green coralline too. They all grow the same way on the glass, just different colors.

First Name
    Mark

OK One last question for you all before i complete ignore it and look at it as a good thing. Would or does all you different color feel different to the touch as this stuff is really slick

TIA and than k you to those who have already posted you all rock.

Be Safe
    Mark

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

It might be this: Lobophora here is a link Ultimate Nuisance Algae Thread - 3reef Forums this stuff is confused for it a lot but it has a slimy slippery texture. I personally think your picture looks like red coraline.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Just wondering~what type of lighting are you using?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

cbau45 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Just wondering~what type of lighting are you using?
    +1 to this. As mentioned above there are many different forms of coraline algae which will flourish under different conditions. I also agree that this looks like a dark form of coraline to me as well. I'd just keep an eye on it as your rocks should vary in color as the become covered with coraline. At this point IMO I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    "The sea, once it casts its spell, will trap you in its nets of wonder forever"
    - Jacques Cousteau

First Name
    Mark

12 hours Lighting is 4 39 watt geissman T5's 3 being pure and one blue plus with 6 hour 150 MH with 15k Phoenix HQI

Bulb were all new 3 months ago