[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Snail ID and Some sort of sponge maybe?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Snail ID and Some sort of sponge maybe?

IMG 1850 - Snail ID and Some sort of sponge maybe?
    IMG 1849 - Snail ID and Some sort of sponge maybe?
    IMG 1848 - Snail ID and Some sort of sponge maybe?

IMG 1852 - Snail ID and Some sort of sponge maybe?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

WillBattle - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Will
    Awards Photo of the Month

Very interested to hear what Pic three is.. I have to same sponge like thing that grows in places that get very little light, I tryed to put some of it where it could get light and it just melts away

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by WillBattle View Post
    Very interested to hear what Pic three is.. I have to same sponge like thing that grows in places that get very little light, I tryed to put some of it where it could get light and it just melts away
    Exactly! This is only growing in the intake portion of my fuge ( high flow area) It receives very little (if any) light.

WillBattle - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Will
    Awards Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Exactly! This is only growing in the intake portion of my fuge ( high flow area) It receives very little (if any) light.
    Same here, lol, exact same spot for me

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Think I found the snail ID~UGH!! Coralliophila (Coralliophila) clathrata

Coralliophila (Coralliophila) clathrata
    Last edited by MizTanks; 01-05-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

That might be the snail... IDK. Why the UGH? Is it a bad snail? I don't know anything about that snail.

As for the sponge. It is a cryptic sponge that tends to grow and spread in established tanks. High flow and low light are the where it likes to live. It will not survive in high light.

Tom

By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about that snail shell. It looks to me like it was an empty shell that was part of your substrate (JMHO).

CR Member
    First Name
    Kevin

Looks like you found the right snail.
    This picture looks like your sponges: DGM 08080620Paarse20buisjesspons20Haliclona20xena - Snail ID and Some sort of sponge maybe?

I used to have these in my 125 gallon tank and my 29 gallon biocube when they were running.

Here is another link: Yellow Sponge, Leucetta sp.

It is just called a yellow sponge or Leucetta sp.

Hope this helps
    Kevin G. Kramer -What! It said Signature :P

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by fishboy13 View Post
    Looks like you found the right snail.
    This picture looks like your sponges: DGM 08080620Paarse20buisjesspons20Haliclona20xena - Snail ID and Some sort of sponge maybe?

I used to have these in my 125 gallon tank and my 29 gallon biocube when they were running.

Here is another link: Yellow Sponge, Leucetta sp.

It is just called a yellow sponge or Leucetta sp.

Hope this helps
    I don't think so. The stuff I got is more stringy looking. Unless its growing that way due to the higher flow it's under.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    That might be the snail... IDK. Why the UGH? Is it a bad snail? I don't know anything about that snail.

As for the sponge. It is a cryptic sponge that tends to grow and spread in established tanks. High flow and low light are the where it likes to live. It will not survive in high light.

Tom

By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about that snail shell. It looks to me like it was an empty shell that was part of your substrate (JMHO).
    Not reef safe at all! I found it attached at the base of a zoa polyp right in the middle of the colony. The colony itself has been spreading out a lot and maybe this is the reason. It was definitely alive. Seeing it earlier in the day I dislodged it and later it was right back in the same spot. It's now in my fuge but I will be looking to get ride of it.