[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

What is this?

Bookmark and Share

Default What is this?

I was wondering what this little bugger is peeking out from under my monti frag. It never leaves its spot; the tentacles move independantly of the current, and there are fine, white crosshairs all along the tentacles.

peregrinus - Reefkeeper Registered User

its a brittle star. :D its a good thing to have.
    Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Wink Enjoy your Brittle Star!

Aw Tracy, he's a cute little bugger! Don't forget to shoot a few brine shrimp down in his new home. They don't come out that much, but I got a kick out of feeding him. He got pretty used to being spoiled. Eventually he met me right at the doorway to his cave, and would take out some shrimp right out of the baster while I squirted in his portion. They are a lot more than a leggy little critter that just eats though. I find them quite interesting. As mine got bigger, his central disk got so wide, and I assume while he was digesting, he'd turn on his spin cycle. He'd move around a small pea sized object in circles around his belly. If I'm wrong about the movement in it's belly, I'd be curious to know any thing else happens to know! Thanks for sharing your new friend Tracy!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Thanks! I was hoping that's what he was, but I wasn't sure since he never leaves his spot. I have another one, not too far away, hanging out on the underside of a rock. The legs on both are always visible in the exact same place... I will try target feeding and see what happens!

(I wonder if this is the kind that stays small...)

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Red face

Actually, I've seen them get quite big, but they do like the comfort of their home under a rock somewhere. If you look in your tank while it's dark, look in there with a red lensed flashlight and you'll see your tank start teaming with interest as everyone takes on their nightly feeding job. You can sometimes catch a serpent star out on the prowl and find him in his hunting stance. He'll stand all 5 legs, and form an arch waiting for some unsuspecting prey to swim underneath him. He then will drop down on top of his victim and consume his meal. That's why I liked to always add meat to his diet so they never ate any fish. I have never had that be a problem though, and mine were pretty big. They were pretty happy getting it out of a baster. Picture the sea star covered in brine shrimp. He'll expertly move the pieces of food simultaneously up to his mouth and just keep shoving the food in his mouth. That's what makes them such a good part of a cleanup crew. They will help clean up a dead fish quickly saving your tank from the pollution of rotten food.

Always keep your red lighted flashlight near the tank for a quick peek anytime you pass by. You'll be amazed at some of the things we miss out on in the day! Have fun reef watching! ......Angel :angel1:
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~