[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

White spots on newly set up reef, front glass

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default White spots on newly set up reef, front glass

I have a newly set up 90 gallon reef tank with 120 lbs dead rock, 110 lbs live sand, hang on refugium, fx-5 filtration, 2- 800 gph circ pumps. Lighting is 4 54 watt t-5s, actinic and day bulbs. Tank is crystal clear and stocked with 1 blue damsel, hippo tang, sailfin tang, royal gramma, lawnmower blenny, banana wrasse, clown fish, coral banded shrimp, 10 hermit crabs and a serpent star, lastly 1 buubble anemity and 2 torch carals and a button polp coral. Tank was cycled 10 days after set up, I have recently noticed what could be described as a specks of salt on the front and sides of the glass, upon closer inspection they have a transparent body and I believe 4 legs attached but because of their size it is hard to see it. I have had my tank up and running for about a month and a half, specific gravity is 1024, ph I believe 8.2 or 8.3. No nitrate or nitrite make up water is RO for top offs. I have added a UV so I can keep a small cyano outbreak in check, if anyone has come in contact with this before let me know I don't consider this to be a threat but I would like to know what I am dealing with. Thank You for any info and Happy New Year to all...

CR Member

Need some pics but wow what a heavily stocked tank for being a month and a half old!

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Are these white spots moving, or are they stationary?

CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

I dont see them moving at all, just wake up and find them on the front-sides of aquarium. They would be to small to photograph.

DYoung - Reefkeeper CR Member

Possibly copepods?
    "Gold fish were so easy..."

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris

^ That is what I was thinking.

CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

That is what I have been thinking as well. Don't see them anymore maybe my UV disrupted their lifecycle. All is well so far with my 90 reef, Thank You for the help again.

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

just for a basic rule, most systems cannot handle an anemone till around 6 months old. other than mojano and aptasia