[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

1 head of 2 headed torch dead in 2 days HELP please

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Jstadler - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

Default 1 head of 2 headed torch dead in 2 days HELP please

One head of my 2 headed torch just withered up and died within 2 days, and I can't figure it out. Water tests good. Ammonia and Nitirites at 0, Nitrates at 5, pH 8.2, 78.4 temp, .026 salinity,mag 1320, my alk is skyhigh at 15 (which is lower than it has tested before(extemely hard water)). All my other LPS look good, softies and zoas same. I checked it tuesday early before the lights were on and it was slightly deflated, by the time I got back home at 7pm, it was totally defalated at was showing quite a bit of skeleton, by this morning it was all skeleton, but the other head still looks normal. I don't get it. I've had it in my tank since the Lansing swap. The only change to the tank was I bumped the halides up to 8 hrs from 7 hrs. Let me know what you guys thinks is going on.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

my first question is what coral is around it? i once had a hydnophora next to my frogspawn and a whole head was dead the next day, come to find out my hydnophora's sweepers came out and stung it and boom it was gone, i moved the hydnophora away from it and within 2-3 weeks the head came back to life.

First Name
    John

Nothing else around it at all. I attached it to the side of my main rock structure, in a very low flow area that still gets a lot of light. You think it may make a comeback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Name
    John

I've just got the normal stuff, 3 peps (had two camels for a couple months until I realized they weren't peps(surprisingly my LFS still swapped them out for me)), cleaner shrimp, emerald and maybe 6 or so hermits, turbo, nassarius, and ceriths. The only fish is my mandarin, I'm sure he wouldn't do anything.

First Name
    John

I got it at the Lansing swap, so about a month. It was initially in somewhat high flow, but I moved it about 2 weeks ago to a very low flow area. After I moved it expanded alot more and seemed really happy. The other head still looks really good. I'll watch the shrimp.

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

my green crab tore mine up not sure if u got one of those i have all seen pistol shrimp kill them bye trying to move them bye there ten
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Is that alk in dkh??? 15 dkh is waaaaaaaay up there.I would bet if thats in dkh thats what killed the trumpet head.Natural sea water is in the upper 7's to low 8's.I would address the alk if it was me.Good luck

First Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Is that alk in dkh??? 15 dkh is waaaaaaaay up there.I would bet if thats in dkh thats what killed the trumpet head.Natural sea water is in the upper 7's to low 8's.I would address the alk if it was me.Good luck

That is DKH, why would it just affect this coral and not all my other LPS, including a hammer coral. I'm open to suggestions on how to lower it.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Jstadler View Post
    That is DKH, why would it just affect this coral and not all my other LPS, including a hammer coral. I'm open to suggestions on how to lower it.
    High alk is one of the quickest way's to nuke a coral.I would keep an eye on the other head.What salt are you useing?

First Name
    John

Right now reef crystals. I started the tank on bio sea, but ran into some issues with availability and switched. One LFS suggested I try a non reef salt like IO and see how that mixes with my water. Alk tested just about as high with bio sea.

Last edited by Jstadler; 03-04-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last