[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Acan Lord care

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    greenstarfish03 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joe

Default Acan Lord care

Does anyone have a good article or link that explains how to care for acan lords? Mine seem to be fine, but I wanted to make sure there aren't things I'm missing.

Water quality is a given. Mine are currently under 5-T5s at the bottom of my tank. Should I be feeding them and if so how and what has worked for you guys? Anything else special they like?

Thanks

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I rarely, if ever feed my acans and they grow pretty nicely, they are always very puffy during the daytime... I think I have a little too much flow for them but whatever, my SPS are more important to me

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

i feed mine 1 time a week with the rest of the tank. i take a turkey baster and load up a cup with some mysis mixed with oyster feast and blow it over them, my duncans, my anemones etc... your lights are fine. i got mine under t5's on my sand bad too.

CR Member
    First Name
    Craig

I also have mine on the sandbad under T5's I used to manually feed them but stopped. I just feed the whole tank oyster feast every other day and they are multiplying well. I have heard that more light and more manual feeding makes them grow faster but it is not necessary IME.
    22g and 50g tanks

First Name
    Joe

Sounds like I'm on the right path then. They basically sit on the sand bed and maybe get some food when I feed some Mysis to everything else.

Anyone know how they grow? I mean do they use calcium to create a bony structure underneath the soft polyps basically like a hammer? I would assume so but I'm not 100% sure. I don't need them to be atatched to a rock to give them room to grow do I? I have a small colony of about 5-6 heads of rainbows that are on a small rock. I just want to make sure they have what they need to expand.

Thanks

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Yes they do absorb calcium and build a skeletal structure like a hammer coral.

I have all mine on the sand bed or on rocks just a few inches up. Lower light provided nicer coloration. Feeding is not required but does help them grow and stimulates the feeding response more regularly, which I enjoy watching.
    I usually broadcast feed the tank a oysterfeast about 10 minutes after lights out and then feed mysis or rods or TM LPS food a about ten minutes later.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Joe

Is the oysterfeast Dt's oyster eggs or is that something different?

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by greenstarfish03 View Post
    Is the oysterfeast Dt's oyster eggs or is that something different?
    Similar to DT;s but made by Reef Nutrition. Easy squeezy bottle! The DT's is a frozen coctail that needs to be mixed with tank water. Just an extra step is all. Been a few years since I've used it, corals like it but find better quicker feeding response from the Reef Nutrition.

Post some pics of those cans your caring for!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Joe

I'm horrible at getting photos that are good representations of my corals but I will try.

First Name
    Joe

Try these pics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last