[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Acanthophylia Color Changing

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Acanthophylia Color Changing

I've been suspecting this for the past couple weeks but just shrugged it off as me seeing things. But going over my older pictures tonight, I am certain now. My Acanthophylia is changing color. It used to be a deeper red, but now is a very pale red or light reddish-pink, and under the blue lighting looks like nearly a very light shade of pinkish-purple.

I don't think this is a result of 'too much' lighting/bleaching, at least as I've heard stories of it or read online as it's not turning a paler white, and still has color ... and it still has it's very prominent orange striping which hasn't toned down a bit. Would this possibly be due to the LEDs? I have read where chalice's, and acan's will change color under LEDs.

I've kept an eye on it ever since I've had it, and the one time it was 'bunched up' on one side, due to too much lighting I moved it and it's been settled ever since.

I've never observed it shedding it's zoo-algae, or showing any signs of stress. Feeds regularly. Opens at night, and otherwise seems perfectly happy/healthy.

Anyone else with LEDs or Acanthophylia experience something similiar? I've considered moving it to an area of less lighting, but want to get opinions, first.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

My wife is an acan nut !!! When I decided to change her tank over to LED's we saw first loss of color due to the strength of LED's,after some adjustments the color returned very nicely. After several months they then started to morph colors ! We have found from trial and error that they need to be in shaded areas when they start to change. We have also had good results with how it's mounted. If you tilt them slightly to avoid direct light they keep color well. She even now likes to get common ones and purposely make them morph to see what happens. Good luck

It is bleaching Dan probably due to being exposed to lighting that is too intense. I would adjust accordingly.

1008 1 - Acanthophylia Color Changing
    facebook - Acanthophylia Color Changing
    Likes jimsflies liked this post

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

+1 with Andy. Turn down the LEDs and possibly move the effected corals to areas with some shade.

CR Member

He's moved to a lower light area, and I also shortened my photoperiod. I'll watch him over the next few weeks and make sure there is no more color loss, and hopefully he'll gain it back. I don't really want to dial down my LEDs anymore than I already have, as I suspect my light as it stands right now may not be high enough for SPS. I had at least one piece die when my tank was running at optimal conditions. Need to get some info on some people who have tanks as deep as mine and are running radion's on their tanks with SPS/LPS, I think ...
    Last edited by Danroth; 02-28-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added more info