[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Brain Question

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Shane

Default Brain Question

Hello everyone we just recently acquired a brain coral which we love btw . here is my question last night I happened to stay up all night (working on a late night project) and i looked in my tank and noticed a tentacle coming out of the brain but it didn't seem like any other sweeper tentacle i have seen from like my SPS this was about 12 inch's long then had a bunch of smaller tentacles coming off of it . so my question is this a feeding tentacle or a stinging tentacle . anyone know or seen this before should i be concerned? lucky i guess with my flow it didn't hit other corals it seemed to be reaching for the surface.This is my first Brain Coral so not sure what to expect the guy at the LFS said it would have feeding tentacles alot like my candy cane coral but this looking nothing like that.

Thanks in advance
    Shane
    Last edited by Fordris; 01-19-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Title typo

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wish I could help....but I have never witnesses a tentical longer than 5", and never with more tenticals off the long one!!!

Hope you find your answer!

A pic of the coral would help. Brain coral is a name given to tons of different corals.

CR Member
    First Name
    Shane

so the wife couldn't sleep and she took a flashlight to the tank and could see another one exactly the same. they are neat looking and as of yet haven't hurt any coral around them.

CR Member
    First Name
    Shane

will work on getting a pic posted in the morning.

It is likely that it will sting whatever it touches. Many LPS corals can be quite aggressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordris View Post
    so the wife couldn't sleep and she took a flashlight to the tank and could see another one exactly the same. they are neat looking and as of yet haven't hurt any coral around them.

CR Member
    First Name
    Shane

As promised

PicS!

Attinics only:
    BrainPics001 - Brain Question
    10k Halides + Attinics:
    BrainPics057 - Brain Question

I think these pictures actually turned out real good.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I've never seen those be overly aggressive. I believe what you have is a welsophylia. I'd keep your other prized corals out of its reach to be on the safe side. Maybe try moving it to an area with different flow and it won't send the sweepers out as far.

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

I thought for sure you would post a "different" brain. I have one like the pic and have never seen any tenacles like you speak of.??? I am not saying there wasnt but I just dont get it,lol. Mine just has the shorter ones all around the edges of the polyp like the guy said, candycane like.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

CR Member
    First Name
    Shane

after Jim pointed out about flow i realized that if the tentacle could extend about 5 inchs it could catch the main stream current this is the reason for the over extension im guessing . yours might be doing it to just shorter im guess they are really hard to see they are super thin i was just lucky to see mine i guess cause it is so long lol . im thinking about rearranging my whole tank to better place this. it does seem really happy where it is tho lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last