[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Candycane Bouquet

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default Candycane Bouquet

Just taking some random shots of the tank today... and here's one I thought needed to be shared. There are over 20 heads growing off of just two main branches on this guy, and most are splitting again, most have three mouths now but without first growing a new branch, really starting to look like a bouquet of flowers. We've actually got two colonies that look like this now :-D
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

love the candy cane!!!! I have some that is electric green and the stuff grows like crazy. do you guys spot feed them????
    fulltankshot 1 - Candycane Bouquet

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

You could say that... Angel invented a new way to feed them the other day... put the whole colony upside down into a bowl filled with oyster eggs untill they were ready to explode from eating so much. Looked so odd, but man did they respond well!
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

huh that is interesting. I will have to try that. I usually brush them with a shiner or a piece of shrimp and that gets them stimulated and then I will come back over them when the feeders are sticking out and feed them that way. I feed my acans that way also. I cannot do that with mine they are glued to rocks. I would like to see that though.
    fulltankshot 1 - Candycane Bouquet

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

I used to hand feed them brine shrimp and cyclopeeze. I just added some expensive oyster eggs to their diet as a treat. I add some oyster eggs, cyclopeeze, or the brine shrimp, to a bowl filled with the tanks water. I let the food product I choose thaw & melt in a bowl deep enough to be sure they stay submerged. Make sure the temperature of the food water returns to the same temperature as the tank water so as not to shock them!! If they weren't awake to eat before, they will be shortly! I leave them in there for about 5-10 minutes depending who's having the "soak & eat" method at the moment. It may sound crazy, but it really works. Everyone of the "Soakers" comes out with food still in their mouths to take back to the tank. I recently has some zoas that just arrived looking very dead. I put them in the oyster water and the next morning I had a few zoas that look like they are going to make it now. Coincidence? Not sure on the zoas, but I know my other coral do great this way. This feeding method prevents overfeeding the tank by accident also. It's definitely a personal choice to feed some of your corals this way! :angel5:
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Angel you have to get some pics of that
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

My candy cane looks like it has a tumor. It's got several defined heads and then a big 'blob' of tissue. It's been like that for a while, so I'm just waiting and seeing what it's going to do. It's healthy and it's feeders come out regularly, the blob is just weird looking.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

zoo-a-holic - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a VERY green candy cane and he like krill and cyklopess! That is a very interesting way to feed. I should try that! Thanks, BTW great pic Dakar#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    120 Gallon Reef With Starfire Front, 2 overflows and 30 Gallon Sump. Mag 18 on the Return. Lit by Aqua Light Pro Deluxe. 2 250 Watt HQI Halides and 2 96 Watt PC Actinics all in one. ASM G-2 In-Sump Skimmer. 2.5 years in the making.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#
    Quote Originally Posted by perpetual98
    My candy cane looks like it has a tumor. It's got several defined heads and then a big 'blob' of tissue. It's been like that for a while, so I'm just waiting and seeing what it's going to do. It's healthy and it's feeders come out regularly, the blob is just weird looking.
    #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Iv seen that in other post it may drop of eventually and start a new Colene if it dose it will#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#just start to drop of in a blob and stretch out till it comes of.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

zoo-a-holic - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So they can just plop off a blob and start a new one???#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    120 Gallon Reef With Starfire Front, 2 overflows and 30 Gallon Sump. Mag 18 on the Return. Lit by Aqua Light Pro Deluxe. 2 250 Watt HQI Halides and 2 96 Watt PC Actinics all in one. ASM G-2 In-Sump Skimmer. 2.5 years in the making.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last