[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Chalice in chains?

Bookmark and Share
    Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

Default Chalice in chains?

Thought the name might get some more looks....

I've had this chalice for about 6 months now, when I got it it was a nice metalice blue with red mouths.
    162011 - Chalice in chains?
    But over time it has fade to this,
    (The white areas are mouths not the skeleton, iphone camera cant pick up the colors right)
    87db9106 - Chalice in chains?
    the strange thing is it has been growing and a few new mouths popped up.

I have tried moving it everywhere in my tank,when I frist bought the thing I had it in moderate light but then it started fading, did some research and read they like low light so I moved it down lower in the tank. The fading didnt stop. I then was told that they like higher light but you have to acclimate them slowly, so I did that. Still down-town-brown. Now Im pretty sure I have it in too high of light, because its right by my Sps. Im thinking of trying a shady area of the tank next but rather than terrorize the chalice anymore due to fact that I know next to nothing about them I was hoping maybe some of you "chalice mad-scientist" can give me some advice?

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Try a low light low flow area. It should color back up over time.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Each chalice is different, some can take stronger flow, some can take being blasted with light and some require very low flow and basically hid under a rock in the shade. To me it looks like its getting too much flow. Id move under a rock into a very shady, low flow area and see if you start to notice it recover in a month...or at least starting to make one.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

not sure if you can do it on iphone or not but i can adjust the white balance on my EVO 3D from auto to things like flurescent and stuff, try to see if you can adjust it and it will update the camera real time before you take a picture just pick the best one which gets the color close to what it looks like. as far as advise, try some different foods in the tank or just get some special foods for it and keep it in low light for a bit while doing this.

Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

**Update**

It's been about 2 months since I've moved the Chalice to a lower light area as suggested.

202539 - Chalice in chains?

It took a little bit but the chalice definitely has started to get its color back, and is growing. I think the first time I moved it to the low light area I didn't wait long enough to let it heal before moving it (my fault for being impatient ). Hopefully it makes a full recovery, thanks everyone for the Help.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Happy to hear it's on the mend Badfish
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com