[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Color loss?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Color loss?

What would cause an Acan to lose color?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Do you feed the tank or coral?

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Are your acans bleaching, or just losing some of the bright colors it used to have? For example, a lot of rainbow acans will turn all red if they are in too high of light. Bleaching of course is a whole different problem. Could be attributed to water conditions, being put in high light (higher than what would just cause them to go a more solid color), etc.

steve&mari - Reefkeeper CR Member

A lot of bright color n rainbow ultra Acans morph after being captive after awhile also as stated they like lower light even shaded some of them to hold colors. Try one you know been captive n aquacultured for couple years if ya can theres some that have proven to hold colors better then others. Also stated you said you've slacked in wc for awhile now 2+ months maybe so could be something there getting outta wack. Do you dose anything n what are you feeding. Here's pics of same acan just couple weeks apart n @ bout 2 weeks captive n bout month or so captive. They are cherry corals pics of the envy sunset 425759cf 9869 bccc - Color loss?425759cf 98dc 181d - Color loss?you see its not as nice of green n looks to be morphing orange more.

Big Steve

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Mine lost a bit of coloring due to to much light. Try moving them a bit lower!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

I've seen some amazing Acans go transparent just about from being to high in tank getting to much light so low low low LOL

Big steve

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Well it's been on the bottom since I've had it and what purple there was is all but gone. I do dose 2 part and water parameters are great.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

I'd guess its morphing then try to shade it alil n see if it helps

Big Steve

Acro76 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by steve&mari View Post
    A lot of bright color n rainbow ultra Acans morph after being captive after awhile also as stated they like lower light even shaded some of them to hold colors. Try one you know been captive n aquacultured for couple years if ya can theres some that have proven to hold colors better then others. Also stated you said you've slacked in wc for awhile now 2+ months maybe so could be something there getting outta wack. Do you dose anything n what are you feeding. Here's pics of same acan just couple weeks apart n @ bout 2 weeks captive n bout month or so captive. They are cherry corals pics of the envy sunset 425759cf 9869 bccc - Color loss?425759cf 98dc 181d - Color loss?you see its not as nice of green n looks to be morphing orange more.

Big Steve

Actually one side of the colony had more orange than the other...which usually has to do with how much light the coral received in the wild. It has changed a bit, but I actually prefer more orange...so in my view thats a good thing!

Not saying good or bad just letting her know sometimes ya can't control the morph ect they go under if you doing things right.

Big Steve