[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Corals Outgrowing their plugs

Bookmark and Share
    dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Default Corals Outgrowing their plugs

So, this is probably a stupid question, but what do I do with a couple corals that are overgrowing their plugs, to the point where they are growing up underneath the plug? I have a Favites and a Chalice that have outgrown their plugs. I just noticed that quite a bit of coral is growing up underneath.

Normally, you'd think lighting would be an issue, but both of these are just stuck in the sand bed, and the snails tend to tip them over... I try to avoid touching either of them, so they get flipped back with a chop stick, usually.

Do I get a bigger plug? I am not certain I want to glue them to a rock at this time. Any thoughts?

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by dlhirst View Post
    So, this is probably a stupid question, but what do I do with a couple corals that are overgrowing their plugs, to the point where they are growing up underneath the plug? I have a Favites and a Chalice that have outgrown their plugs. I just noticed that quite a bit of coral is growing up underneath.

Normally, you'd think lighting would be an issue, but both of these are just stuck in the sand bed, and the snails tend to tip them over... I try to avoid touching either of them, so they get flipped back with a chop stick, usually.

Do I get a bigger plug? I am not certain I want to glue them to a rock at this time. Any thoughts?
    well if you dont wanna glue them down to rock yet your best bet is to find a bigger frag disc/plug or trying to get some rock rubbble thats bigger than the plug and just glue it to that. Its what i do for my zoa's on my sand bed, has worked great, cause you can kinda push the rock into the sand a bit and they dont get knocked over.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Here is what I would recommend:
    http://www.midwestsaltwater.com/Frag...kqqo1mb63snum4

I have a couple of these and love them. Keeps the plugs from being tipped over and gives them a place to grow. One the plug encrusts you can always remove it and put a new plug in the center for it to regrow over the plug. Works for every kind of coral.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Here is what I would recommend:
    http://www.midwestsaltwater.com/Frag...kqqo1mb63snum4

I have a couple of these and love them. Keeps the plugs from being tipped over and gives them a place to grow. One the plug encrusts you can always remove it and put a new plug in the center for it to regrow over the plug. Works for every kind of coral.
    Thanks for the link Jim! Just what I've been looking for, way cool!

Jamie
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

I have the 20 and the 5 hole frag rock. I love them as well. I have also seen "dougnuts" that are a clay ring with a hole in it and lets your corals encrust a large piece.

Favites and chalice should be fine really to grow naturally on the sand. They both create their own skeleton.

I also attach small pieces to medium small rocks so that I can place them or move them as I like. Mainly for zoas.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

They are growing without slowing... but, they seem to be growing underneath, rather than across the sand bed. I am sure it is due to the snails tipping them over every third day or so. So, they never get the chance to attach.

I will try one of those stations, I guess.