[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Lobo in trouble...need help- ASAP (If possible)

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Lobo in trouble...need help- ASAP (If possible)

I got a lobo. Looked really nice. Tissue was great, no retraction, no recesion, bright and bushy! Heres a pic, from a week ago, and looked the same last night-

Picture121 - Lobo in trouble...need help- ASAP (If possible)

I came home tonight to this-

Picture 4 - Lobo in trouble...need help- ASAP (If possible)

First- a little back ground on the tank-

34 gallon cube. 4 bulb t5ho light w/ 2 actinics, 1 10k and a purple bulb. The lobo was place in the lower 1/3 of the 18" tall tank, on a frag rack. My purple deaths ar about 3" higher in the tank and retain their color, so I beleive ther isnt too much light....but not sure enough to exclude that from the issue...

Flow is supplied by a mp10 on reefcrest mode- I would definitly say its in a very indirect flow area. It gets flow, but not anywhere near enough to wave its tenticles.

The system is low nutrient, but cant/wont call it ULNS. I dose MB7 and a bit of VC. It keeps the nitrates undetectable on my test kit, but enough po4 that my cheato algea survives- most likely due to heavy feedings, broadcast style, for corals and fish alike. I dont have a really reliable test kit for po4, just a general use (api).

There are a few things that have changed.....but all other corals and fish have shown no sighns of anything out of the ordinary.

Last night- the last time I saw this coral-

I topped off my tank. I added 1 1/2 gallon to the 34 gallon cube.

I have recently, in the past 3 days, started spot feeding my corals- palys, chalice, other lobos and variouse sps, and hope that the sps and zoas in my tank benefit from the leftoves in the water column.

I gave the tank a lights out period 11 days ago for 3 days, and then dosed some maracyn (erethromyacin) to the tank 8 days ago. i added this lobo 2 days after the dose....6 days ago.

Pretty much all thats changed in the past 15 days.

I have seen beneficial results in the past 5 days in all my corals....till yonight, and just in this lobo in the pic....

Anyone have any ideas??

First Name
    Chris

Almost forgot to add.....

The open mouths, and the bad lookin side- they are pooping....or possibly expelling Zooxanthellae ???? I am not sure....Im ny experiance, expelling the brown in considered pooping, but if thing look bad during this, it could be a bad sighn....I could use some help here with this lobo.

I am fairly new to keeping these corals, and extreamly new to having issues with them. I could use some help, and dont want to loose this one, it cost me a fair chunk- and already in the past 6 days, I have grown attatched.

Anyone with experiance have any info/ideas??

Its going downhill fast....

2 hours later-

Picture125 - Lobo in trouble...need help- ASAP (If possible)

All moths open, and the last ones, on the right are pooping/expelling...

I have moved it to a more shaded spot, but thats about all I know for sure to do??? O have had a suggestion to FW dip??

A little more just found out info....after the 3 days lights out, and all the power outages, and my work schedule- I just found out the lights have been on for 14 hrs/day for the last 6 days.....Oooops...

Is it bleaching??? Is that what its expelling out of its mouths?? Do these corals recover from bleaching?? Any info/advice is apreciated....

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Awww Chris I wish I could help-my heart hurts for you-hope someone can help!!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

You could try a melafix or coral Rx dip.

Also run some fresh carbon and do a water change.

I'd also move the piece to the lowest light area with medium-strong indirect flow.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 06-30-2010 at 06:10 AM.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

I feel your pain bro, I brought home a lobo that had been at the LFS for 2 weeks. After only 2 days in my system it slowly and painfully just withered away over a weeks time. I wish you luck.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I have found lobos like this very tough to keep. I had a yellow one that only lasted days, a pink one that lasted a couple months, and a green one that I kept for about 6 months. They all ended up looking the same color in the end...white skeleton. These lobos have become one of the corals I "try" to stay away from now.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

don't know much about them but if you can feed them i would say give them some mysis and garlic. i had some candy canes that were receding and i gave them mysis everyday for about 1 week and they came back at full strength. i think the problem was when i got them they stressed and expelled the photosynthetic algae they have in their cells and were slowly starving so when i fed them it gave it nutrition to keep it alive and also helped them regenerate their lost algae cells that were expelled.

worth a shot! good luck!

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

eh, i shoulda stuck around for that 2 hours later shot. it does appear to be shrinking/whithering away

CR Member

oh man that sux. Hope it pulls through.

First Name
    Chris

Thx for the replies so far- much apreciated.

Alright...now i am really confused....

Looks very close to being back to normal now. A bit lighter in color, but poofed up and almost completely happy again.

I moved it last night to a shaded area, and left it alone all day. Lights are cut back to 8 hrs, gonna cut back to 7 in a few days.

This has me wondering- does it deflate really bad, right before it poops??? I have seen nems do this before they poop, and seen zoas close up for a few days before they do....anyone experiance this?

I have been feeding alot. Can it be overfed?? Think I recall some LPS can be overfed...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last