[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Help my Fungia.

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    that Reef Guy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Steve
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    That's what I'm discovering. My last plate did awesome under my old T5's. This one has never been right under LED's.
    I have a lot of Zoanthids that do great under LED.

But I try to put any LPS and SPS under T5.

They always do better under T5 for me.

I really don't get why so many people are so obsessed with LED.

T5 and I am told even more so that Metal Halide are much better for most Corals.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

LED's for me were more of a choice of necessity. No LFS here sells T5 lamps other than Coralview. So I was stuck ordering online. At $100.00 plus shipping every 8-10 months I just couldn't afford it. I also like the versatility of the LED's.
    So far I've no complaints with my LED's. My corals are growing great with great colors! First time in 6yrs I haven't had to replace a bulb and saved money!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Usually when the flesh starts to recede it is not good. When purchasing a plate you need to check the underside. If the flesh is broken it will likely wither away. You can keep lps under leds just fine as long as they aren't too strong.

First Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    Usually when the flesh starts to recede it is not good. When purchasing a plate you need to check the underside. If the flesh is broken it will likely wither away. You can keep lps under leds just fine as long as they aren't too strong.
    I have also heard to check the underside.

What do you mean by broken?

Might you have any pictures to compare a good plate to a bad plate?

If they are "Broken" do they die right away or take some time to die?

Usually I get like 6 Months before they start to die.

I thought that I was maybe overfeeding them and that the food was still inside them rotting away perhaps (I fed them a lot).

So I got some new ones and never fed them and they still died in about 6 months anyways.

So I gave up on plates.

But if they were just "broken" as you say and I know what to look for then I will try them again.

Anybody have any pics to compare "broken" to non-broken" plates?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Well there's no break underneath but it does have a strange black area. Today's PE looks better and it also looks like it's trying to color back up.
    f9b1d5ea2b5de5d0118482b147ea3e01 - Help my Fungia.
    81545243ed27e382e2f70cc9d38c2c1c - Help my Fungia.
    d6af00330364dcbbf0db2a68d00f934b - Help my Fungia.

Quote Originally Posted by that Reef Guy View Post
    I have also heard to check the underside.

What do you mean by broken?

Might you have any pictures to compare a good plate to a bad plate?

If they are "Broken" do they die right away or take some time to die?

Usually I get like 6 Months before they start to die.

I thought that I was maybe overfeeding them and that the food was still inside them rotting away perhaps (I fed them a lot).

So I got some new ones and never fed them and they still died in about 6 months anyways.

So I gave up on plates.

But if they were just "broken" as you say and I know what to look for then I will try them again.

Anybody have any pics to compare "broken" to non-broken" plates?
    The flesh on the bottom should be consistent across the bottom. If there is any spot where the flesh is gone on the bottom then the plate will typically slowly wither. Sometimes it can take 6 months but sometimes less. In my experience if the flesh is receding the plate will die.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Flesh on the bottom? You mean underneath? I thought there was only flesh on top, no?

First Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    The flesh on the bottom should be consistent across the bottom. If there is any spot where the flesh is gone on the bottom then the plate will typically slowly wither. Sometimes it can take 6 months but sometimes less. In my experience if the flesh is receding the plate will die.
    I am sure that you have seen many many Plates over the years.

What percent of the Plates out there have issues on the bottom in your opinion?

Would you say 50/50, 20 Percent, 75 Percent, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by that Reef Guy View Post
    I am sure that you have seen many many Plates over the years.

What percent of the Plates out there have issues on the bottom in your opinion?

Would you say 50/50, 20 Percent, 75 Percent, etc.?
    I have seen a ton in wholesale shipments. They look perfectly healthy unless you turn them over but it depends on the shipment. You might get a shipment with 40 plates all of which are healthy and the you might see a shipment of 40 where 25 are receding. It depends on where they came from, how well they were packed, and what stresses they encountered during transport.

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Flesh on the bottom? You mean underneath? I thought there was only flesh on top, no?
    The flesh on top should be one continuous piece covering the entire bottom. Maybe "flesh" is a poor description. Skin or tissue are probably better. However the skeleton should be completely covered.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last